nateNAU

1st javalina

I was lucky enough to fill my tag on my first javalina on Saturday. I have been some what jinxed with them. I live in flagstaff and to hunt them I have some what of a jaunt. I will say I have seen quite a number up here but never when I have an otc tag in my pocket. With my first tag in a good javi unit a few years back, practically the whole unit was inaccessible due to flash flooding. The following year I applied for the same unit and popped 4 tires on the first day of the hunt. I hunted 37b this year in january and saw over 40 muley and coues bucks, but not one javalina, so I didn't really have high hopes for this 19b HAM hunt. The plan for the morning was to glass south facing slopes but snow and high winds made it difficult and needless to say they were not moving in those conditions. By about 11, my brother in law and I decided to try and search some thicker valleys and came across a big group of pigs. He was determined to get one with his bow, so the plan was for him to shoot one, and as soon as he shot, I would follow up on a second one with my pistol. The plan went moderately well and after he shot a big old broken tusked sow, I followed up on a younger boar. I am glad my bad  luck streak was finally broken and am now addicted to these little stick pigs!

20190216_213037.jpg

20190216_113715.jpg

IMG956435.jpg

• Like 9

Congratulations on getting your first javelina... can't quite tell if you're shooting a contender or an encore? What caliber did you use? I usually go after them with my TC contender and a triple deuce barrel... as long as I use a soft point bullet they've always been DRT out to a hundred yards or so...