Sign in to follow this  
MULEPACKHUNTER

Factory 28 nosler suggestions

The age old one rifle for everything debate. 

Im putting together and rifle for a new hunter and walking him through the whole process . In the end he will have his rifle fully outfitted ready to hunt as well as everything he needs to reload for it. Although he had a high budget I feel it's better for him to start factory and learn his way into a custom next year. So for an off the shelf 28 nosler what options under 1000.00 is anyone familiar with????

also looking at 270 wsm, what's the census between the 28 and the 270 option?

For around 1k you can get the browning xbolt heck canyon, christen arms mesa and Montana rifle company in 28 nosler. The browning comes in 1;8 twist to stabilize the berger 195 EOL if you want to go that route other wise the other ones will send the 180s screaming down the barrel just fine. I have been looking at the Seekins Havak in 28 nosler but on sale its 1800. Not a lot of options for a factory 28 nosler around 1k that I know of. Plenty of sub 1K rifles in 7mm mag though.

If you are looking at shooting longer ranges the .284 caliber has much better bullet options with higher BC then the .277 caliber. Berger offers a 170 EOL bullet in the .277 but I think you need a faster twist rate then what factory .270 wsm comes with.  I reload for the .270 and .270 wsm and I stick with the 140 class bullets.  

Thanks for the info, I have several boxes of partitions in 7mm 180 grn that's why it was leaning to the front , 7mm wsm is in there too. I'm headed to sportsmans to hold a few in hand and see what they might have in 28. A lot of guys mention that browning so I'm hoping they at least have one there to handle in any caliber. 

Just because he has a large budget doesn't mean he has to jump into a very niche do everything cartridge to begin with. There is nothing wrong with the 28 Nosler, in fact, its my favorite of the new Nosler offerings, but if it were me and I was in the market for a 7mm do anything rifle I would look at the 7mm Rem Mag and open up a whole bunch of options for factory rifles and save a ton on dies and brass. 

• Like 2

I’m assuming this guy is looking to only buy once?  You’re barking up the right tree with the .28 Nosler, but I guess the last thing I’d ever suggest to someone is to spend less then they could on a do it all rifle.  The seekins or a Christensen would be good OTC rifles that will shoot as good as he would need them to for your run of the mill long range shooting and hunting.  I would have him buy once and enjoy the gun.  The worst thing he could do is buy one and then trade it off later for something better.  That gets expensive in a hurry.  

I just looked at some options at sportsmans and with the pricing it looks like I'm leaning him towards the 7mm wsm. The only thing close to 1000.00 was the X bolt speed but I didn't like it. He still needs to do his looking and touching but so far unless he goes up to 1600.00 the 28 doesn't look good. 

Why have one rifle... that would suck.

Get him a 6.5 of some sort to hone reloading skills and have as a practice gun and build a 28 when he knows for sure what he wants.

Spend the money on the scope then put a Remington 700 under it and customize as the budget allows.

• Like 1

Have him get a 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag and spend the extra on optics. Both will be more than enough for any north american big game animal. Lots of factory ammo and components for half the price of the cartridges mentioned. 

• Like 1

Scope is already in , 6-24 HS LR viper . 

Im kind of liking the idea of buying a rem 700 and re barrel to 28 nosler

i like the 7mm rm and shoot one myself but I don't care for belted cases