wildwoody

Major winter storm to hit high country

First it was really cool all the snow falling!

Next morning reality hits!!!

Where are my four boys? Oh yeah they are all grown up and gone!

While my neighbor uses a snow blower????? Who owns a snow blower in Snowflake??

963834F6-3778-47BD-9EC7-F3DBAD491E47.thumb.jpeg.a0beceb581ac850f6f54fe876d715297.jpeg

4AB6536C-6A97-41CC-9180-809E8F1755EF.thumb.jpeg.2a623b1dff6858625d5c3bf514a7b79a.jpeg299458E0-6194-40BC-A19E-2799456DB79A.thumb.jpeg.ddda59b89cee881ae0d583d2fd808d6f.jpeg

5AE8B141-72EA-493B-B654-39AFACD01751.thumb.jpeg.525ecda6cc08f98d5f9c0aca6ca3f125.jpeg

And then of course there was this which didn’t surprise me but didn’t exactly make my day any brighter! :)

A98937AA-7CC7-441D-97C7-6ABF04115E8B.thumb.jpeg.fe0e0c9074069a05ba94119509cbf01a.jpeg

Very greatful for the great moisture that came to our area and that I am still healthy enough to shovel snow with the best of them!

I probably won’t be able to move tomorrow but dang it was nice to get a real snow storm!

• Like 3

Am I right . Everyone stay home for 2 days and all will be ok. Its only snow. But we have some stupid people..................BOB!

• Like 2

The following is what I found in my hunting book about the most severe winter storm in my memory.

"The winter of 2009-2010 was the most severe winter in 43 years (since 1967). We had over 14' of snow with +8' coming in less than a two day span. Our cabin experienced damages exceeding $23,000 in value due to the heavy weight of the snow. The wildlife didn't fare much better than my cabin as many were stranded in the deep snow and some did not manage to migrate out to lower elevations to survive the severe winter. There were stories heard that when the snowplow made its way to the Beaverhead ranches there were hundreds of elk in a herd that walked by vehicles to gain access off the snow bound mountain."

Additionally my wife and I were snowed in for 4 days before we could get out of the cabin........ but luckily we had food, fire and stored water. The power was out off and on for about 4 days. Contrary to what I would have guessed, the horn quality that year for my archery hunt was disappointing. I guess most of the superior nutrients on the ground went into restoring their bodies from the severe winter, and not to exceptional horn growth.

It was a fun 4 days at the cabin though with my wife being snowed in. Wish she was still here on earth to have shared this last storm with me in Alpine.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Alpinebullwinkle said:

The following is what I found in my hunting book about the most severe winter storm in my memory.

"The winter of 2009-2010 was the most severe winter in 43 years (since 1967). We had over 14' of snow with +8' coming in less than a two day span. Our cabin experienced damages exceeding $23,000 in value due to the heavy weight of the snow. The wildlife didn't fare much better than my cabin as many were stranded in the deep snow and some did not manage to migrate out to lower elevations to survive the severe winter. There were stories heard that when the snowplow made its way to the Beaverhead ranches there were hundreds of elk in a herd that walked by vehicles to gain access off the snow bound mountain."

Additionally my wife and I were snowed in for 4 days before we could get out of the cabin........ but luckily we had food, fire and stored water. The power was out off and on for about 4 days. Contrary to what I would have guessed, the horn quality that year for my archery hunt was disappointing. I guess most of the superior nutrients on the ground went into restoring their bodies from the severe winter, and not to exceptional horn growth.

It was a fun 4 days at the cabin though with my wife being snowed in. Wish she was still here on earth to have shared this last storm with me in Alpine.

Interesting.....I'll have to check photo albums to see what things looked like over Christmas that year.....do you have a more specific time frame on when that occurred?

Sorry for your loss........

10 hours ago, Alpinebullwinkle said:

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like fond memories.

11 hours ago, Alpinebullwinkle said:

our last blizzard.  the December 7 2009 blizzard 3 days before the cow hunt-remember it well.  the roof of the pinetop fire station caved in.

lee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

This is the Salt by 19th Ave. It wasn't running like is on Friday.

0304190845_HDR.jpg

I drove by McKellips and the 202 yesterday at 11:30 and it was running pretty good. There was a vehicle stuck in the middle that looked like a pickup with a camper or a minni van.