Sign in to follow this  
Bluegiant86

Question for HAM Hunters

I thought that the pigs seemed to be up at first light this year, and then bedded again by 9 am, and then when they were up they were hanging around in the bottoms of canyons. VERY difficult to see them this year.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Not up this morning

Nope, the only thing I would look for this morning is a pig pile.

• Like 1

28 degrees - 10pm feeding on dormant bermuda grass in Huachuca City 

35 degrees - 7 am crossing the road in Nogales

Seems like the cold not an issue.  Nocturnal behavior is new observation for me...

Always subscribed to the sleep in theory but recent observations have me re-thinking that.  Has 2 tag - increased hunting pressure - led to adaptations?  

Anyone else observe them active at night?

36 minutes ago, savagman said:

28 degrees - 10pm feeding on dormant bermuda grass in Huachuca City 

35 degrees - 7 am crossing the road in Nogales

Seems like the cold not an issue.  Nocturnal behavior is new observation for me...

Always subscribed to the sleep in theory but recent observations have me re-thinking that.  Has 2 tag - increased hunting pressure - led to adaptations?  

Anyone else observe them active at night?

I have seen them active all times of the day and night in all kinds of weather from Sonora to Williams.

The ghetto pigs where I'm at are always active at night and dormant by day. I can't recall having seen one in my neighborhood between the hours of 6:00am-9:00pm and there is a healthy population here.  I believe it has more to do with the increased UTV activity throughout the backcountry than it does actual hunting pressure or the number of tags.  The farther away from human traffic you get, the more traditional their behavior. 

• Like 1

Little trick , I learned . Go to home depot and buy flowers and plants . Plant them all and next morning everything will be gone . Pigs will be very close by . Works everytime ! Wish it was that easy to find them in my hunting unit 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Pretend you're hunting deer - pigs all over. Pretend you're hunting pigs and deer will be all over the place. 

• Like 3