Sign in to follow this  
Bluegiant86

Question for HAM Hunters

A Question for the HAM hunters out there, I am going on my first hunt this upcoming general javelina hunt. What has the behavior been for the "Pigs"? what sides of the hills have you seen them? Higher up the hill or lower? The weather looks like it will be similar to what it was for the HAM hunt. Thanks for any of your hard earned knowledge!

Wind and rain made it very tough for me to locate them. Either way I saw fresh activity high and low and on the South side of the hills.

• Like 1

It’s was day by day. Based on weather, Some days they were out feeding some days they were down feeding. They’re always there but their behavior is just diferant than every other game animal. 

• Like 1

From my experience there behavior was different every time I saw them.  There very unpredictable.  Glass sunny spots in the morning and glass bedding areas in the afternoon.  But really shouldn't listen to me I suck at pig hunting!!!

I always feel that between 0800 and 1100 am is the best hillside feeding time with them heading into mid day beds around 1030 - 1130 am. Back up and feeding around 130 to 200 depending on how warm it is. I tend to glass hillsides in the early hours transition into known bedding type areas mid day and start looking in saddles on ridges afternoon.   

• Like 1

Thank you for all the info! With this being my first hunt I'm a little nervous. I have an experienced hunting buddy helping me, taking me to his usual spot where he's  been successful in the past, but due to work schedules neither of us have been able to get out yet to scout.  Also he is having to leave for a day due to work. Leaving me solo for a day in the middle of the hunt. I just want all the information I can get going into this. 

They do what they want, haven't found much this year and 35" possible of snow will be a totally new experience.. Good luck 

Sleep in, javelina will feed out of the wind in sunny areas from about 9-11am. Mid day look where most recent sign is and either set up to glass when they get up an hour before sunset or go for a walk and hopefully run into them 

• Like 1