Big Browns

Cool Rocks Found

Nice finds! I was out hiking around Rincons one day and walked up on this impression in the ground. There was nothing but white dirt and rock. In the middle of it was this rock. It is very dense and i am pretty sure it is a meteorite.

20190221_121405.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bucks N Bulls said:

Nice finds! I was out hiking around Rincons one day and walked up on this impression in the ground. There was nothing but white dirt and rock. In the middle of it was this rock. It is very dense and i am pretty sure it is a meteorite.

20190221_121405.jpg

See if a magnet sticks to it.  

Ok all you rock hounds . My dad found this rock in a mine shaft roughly 30 feet down . I have had this rock for 30 years and always wondered if this rock had a bone petrified in the rock . If you look close you will see it. This rock has several different kinds rock material mixed . Any thoughts 

20190221_144345.jpg

20190221_144328.jpg

20190221_144318.jpg

20190221_144303.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seek100plus said:

Ok all you rock hounds . My dad found this rock in a mine shaft roughly 30 feet down . I have had this rock for 30 years and always wondered if this rock had a bone petrified in the rock . If you look close you will see it. This rock has several different kinds rock material mixed . Any thoughts 

20190221_144345.jpg

20190221_144328.jpg

20190221_144318.jpg

20190221_144303.jpg

Pic two is 5 sided quartz crystal with what appears to be pyrite

Last pic I believe is crystal in host igneous, basalt.

Are they different views of the same rock?

Fossils are mostly in sedimentary rock.

1 hour ago, Bucks N Bulls said:

They do and have checked before. I just did it now for you. Here is a pic.

20190221_135915.jpg

Streak test!

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

See if a magnet sticks to it.  

Streak test is more definitive, my driveway is full of rocks that will stick to a magnet.

If it were a meteorite and a new find, researchers may want to study the specimens magnetic field uninterrupted by collectors with magnets.

• Wow! 1

Edge , I always wanted to know more about this rock . In my book very cool find . Over beers it is nice to tell people,  I think it's a bone in the rock . If I find out it's not,  then I can't anymore . Is this rock made by forced compaction or some other way ? 

20 minutes ago, seek100plus said:

Edge , I always wanted to know more about this rock . In my book very cool find . Over beers it is nice to tell people,  I think it's a bone in the rock . If I find out it's not,  then I can't anymore . Is this rock made by forced compaction or some other way ? 

I think what looks like bone is basalt, so it's volcanic rock. The Crystals precipitated in pockets of that extrusive magma probably with an ore body.

Hince the mine shaft where it was found and what appears to be an iron pyrite inclusion.

The pyrite, if that's what im seeing; with quarts crystals is the story here.

Use vinegar, baking soda and a tooth brush to clean that fools gold up. Buy some oxalic acid cheap online and soak the quarts overnight and make it sparkle.

You'd be surprised what that rock would sell for.

• Like 1

All I've ever found in the way of rock is leverite...

As in leave'er right there, ain't worth messin' with...

• Like 2