Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

ADOT lazy

So is ADOT that lazy that they can only keep 17 South open but closr 17 North?

87 is closed both ways from Payson, why cant they let 4x4 and chains go thru?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I thought this post would be about the fact that at any given time on an AZDOT project worksite its at least 4:1 with dudes standing around doing nothing vs dude(s) possibly working/giving the public apearance of being engaged in some type of work effort. 

• Like 1

You got a 4 wheel drive that will make it in 25"+ of snow and you get your self out without calling the 911?

• Like 4

I would bet they dont have the resources to keep everything open on a storm that comes through every 20 years or so. I would rather them close it than waste all those resources in years we dont get anything. Everyone knew this was coming plan accordingly 

• Like 12

They have all hands on deck and plows running all over the state.  They are having to run plows in places where they normally do not.  Always easy watching from the side line.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bigj23 said:

They have all hands on deck and plows running all over the state.  They are having to run plows in places where they normally do not.  Always easy watching from the side line.  

My thoughts exactly.  Literally the biggest snow storm in that area in over 100 years, and the armchair critics pounce. 🙄

• Like 3

Even with chains you wont make it. By closing the hwy they are reducing the fatality rate and saving money/time pulling all those dumb drivers out that dont even have 4x4. People will try to get though with a compact car and bald tires. Then the Hwy gets so loaded up with jack knifed 18 wheelers, mini vans , compact cars and people with 4x4 s that think they can drive 55+ in the ice and snow then they cant plow the road due to all the stranded motorist. ^^^^^^^

• Like 5

Roads aren't flat and temps are still below freezing. Nothing worse than slowly loosing traction as you go uphill and eventually start spinning the tires and  come to a dead stop in the middle of the road or worse, slide off the side of the road. With a smaller car when you drive through deep snow it will build up underneath the car and raise it up ever so slightly and you loose all traction. Been there, done that when I live on the border of Maine and New Brunswick in my early twenties. Factor in -30dgF in a 64 Carmen Ghia and stuff gets real hairy in a hurry.

No sense putting yourself in harms way and those who get paid to come to your aid. Situations can turn deadly in the blink of an eye.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Roads aren't flat and temps are still below freezing. Nothing worse than slowly loosing traction as you go uphill and eventually start spinning the tires and  come to a dead stop in the middle of the road or worse, slide off the side of the road. With a smaller car when you drive through deep snow it will build up underneath the car and raise it up ever so slightly and you loose all traction. Been there, done that when I live on the border of Maine and New Brunswick in my early twenties. Factor in -30dgF in a 64 Carmen Ghia and stuff gets real hairy in a hurry.

No sense putting yourself in harms way and those who get paid to come to your aid. Situations can turn deadly in the blink of an eye.

Breaking news...

2 hours ago, n2horns said:

So is ADOT that lazy that they can only keep 17 South open but closr 17 North?

87 is closed both ways from Payson, why cant they let 4x4 and chains go thru?

You wanna know why?  Really?  Too many flatlanders and fools driving on bald, underinflated tires, who couldn't put on chains to save them, even if they had them, which they don't, and who have no idea what snow or ice is all about. 

forepaw

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

You got a 4 wheel drive that will make it in 25"+ of snow and you get your self out without calling the 911?

Back in 2001-2002, don't recall exactly... I drove my Wrangler up from the valley to Sunrise with a buddy while following out a fairly decent storm.  We rolled out around 10:00pm anticipating just enough time to grab a bite to eat on the way and crash in the parking lot for a couple hours before the lifts started running.  ADOT had the 260 closed to all but 4x4 just passed Star Valley.  Several stock 4x4's plowed snow for a few yards and called it quits.  My Jeep only had a 3" lift and sat on 33 12.50's , but it floated right over and through the top of what was a solid 2.5ft of fresh powder and deeper in the drifts.  We cut fresh tracks all the way somewhere around Heber and never saw another vehicle during the stretch.  Still one of my coolest memories!

Moral of the story...  Let stupid be stupid and freedom to have fun to the rest.

• Like 1

Ya all good until something happens, then the idiots expect someone to come running to help there dumb asses. I say go for it and when they crash or get stock your on your own or pay the stupid motorist fine. But we did the same thing many times to get that fresh powder.

Guest akaspecials

Arizona are drivers are retarded to start with. And they go full retard in snow and ice. Can't blame them one bit for shutting it down, doesn't have anything to do with them being lazy.

And 4x4 and chains won't get you through 3 ft of snow and the drifts that come with it.