Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

ADOT lazy

15 minutes ago, HyNoon said:

So just curious,  how do the adot workers get to work to use the blows , or do they take them home?

Lyft

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My brotherin law Plows snow for the State of Ohio and what they do is if a major storm is coming the go in way ahead of it hoping it materializes ,then they get to it. They make good money on big storm cause of Over Time.. I would think most states follow suit........BOB!

• Like 3

Snow happens. I am glad we're getting the much needed snow pack up top. The rivers, lakes and streams all need it. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Ohthatguy said:

We had to help a couple lovely ladies out of this whoopsies on Saturday.  🙄  Doesn't take much to get stuck. 397541520_20190223_1106003.thumb.jpg.bd1eaf7dbb4fe1ed9d2e1801065222e3.jpg

I've thought alot about this and Lord knows I have put myself in some pretty spooky spots because I thought I could beat the conditions! 

Time has changed my perspective and my dad's words of wisdom always come to mind......"If you need 4X4 you are just gonna get yourself more stuck!!!" :)

I love my 4X4 and it ain't nothing special but common sense goes a long way! I have buried my truck in the bar ditch in 2' of snow because I was gonna show my wife how to do a 360 on Big Lake Road a few Christmas's ago.......spent the afternoon digging myself out while her and the boys went and found a Christmas tree!

I have canceled travels because I didn't want to become a statistic on the evening news! The story about those gals getting lost headed to Sunrise always leaves me scratching my bald head.....that was nobody's fault but the people who ended up stranded IMO!

You have to educate yourself on where you are headed and be prepared for extreme conditions which in AZ can be tough because of the extreme differences in our state! You go wandering around on Camelback mountain in August and you might die......

As hunters in general I think we take more chances but because of our experiences out in the boonies we also know the boundaries better and are usually better prepared! Nothing like having a good experienced hunter be the one to find you and offer a tow strap to pull you out of a mess!

• Like 1

I remember when I was in college at NAU. NASTY storm was coming. Went to work at Home Depot and they tried hard as they could to shut the store down. But they needed corporate approval.... corporate was in Florida.... request denied.....

Middle of the GD storm ONE dude walks in..... What home improvement project is THAT damnn important?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I've thought alot about this and Lord knows I have put myself in some pretty spooky spots because I thought I could beat the conditions! 

Time has changed my perspective and my dad's words of wisdom always come to mind......"If you need 4X4 you are just gonna get yourself more stuck!!!" :)

I love my 4X4 and it ain't nothing special but common sense goes a long way! I have buried my truck in the bar ditch in 2' of snow because I was gonna show my wife how to do a 360 on Big Lake Road a few Christmas's ago.......spent the afternoon digging myself out while her and the boys went and found a Christmas tree!

I have canceled travels because I didn't want to become a statistic on the evening news! The story about those gals getting lost headed to Sunrise always leaves me scratching my bald head.....that was nobody's fault but the people who ended up stranded IMO!

You have to educate yourself on where you are headed and be prepared for extreme conditions which in AZ can be tough because of the extreme differences in our state! You go wandering around on Camelback mountain in August and you might die......

As hunters in general I think we take more chances but because of our experiences out in the boonies we also know the boundaries better and are usually better prepared! Nothing like having a good experienced hunter be the one to find you and offer a tow strap to pull you out of a mess!

This right here.  I used to take all kinds of crazy risks when I was younger and had an "I'm invincible!" attitude with my '78 F-150 4x4!  Then I grew up and realized that some risks just aren't worth it and 4x4 only gets you so far and so safe.  Like NTS, the only times I've been stuck in mud or snow were when I was being driven by a desire to show off for friends.  Also like NTS, I'd rather cancel a trip than risk being a statistic or make someone else be a statistic trying to bail me out.  I also listened to my dad's advice from 18 months of combat: "Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor."

• Like 1

And one more follow up.  We still have several side streets, including many in our neighborhood, that have yet to see a plow after this storm.  That's how busy the plows have been around town, including on the interstates.  As of today, the interstates are in great shape.  Most of the main streets are mostly in good shape in town, but there are still many turn lanes that haven't been cleared yet, and some main lanes are just now getting hit by plows and graders so we have access to the full lanes without jamming into each other.  Many side streets are anything but fine and most are impassable without 4wd or AWD.

38 minutes ago, IA Born said:

And one more follow up.  We still have several side streets, including many in our neighborhood, that have yet to see a plow after this storm.  That's how busy the plows have been around town, including on the interstates.  As of today, the interstates are in great shape.  Most of the main streets are mostly in good shape in town, but there are still many turn lanes that haven't been cleared yet, and some main lanes are just now getting hit by plows and graders so we have access to the full lanes without jamming into each other.  Many side streets are anything but fine and most are impassable without 4wd or AWD.

I bet one of my favorite side roads FS 54 is still not plowed too :) 

That stuck truck reminds me of an incident I had in the mid-1970s. I was driving on what was basically a DRY dirt road during the cold of winter. Came upon a spot that looked to be a frozen puddle about 20' wide. I was driving a 1/2-ton 4x4 PU with a heavy duty Warn winch on the front bumper. So I start to drive across the ice and all four wheels break through. The puddle had been about 10-12 inches deep, so the ice, which was about 1 1/2" thick came about 1/2 way up each tire. No amount of effort would move the truck; it was like driving against a 6' thick concrete wall. 

So I get out, unwind some winch cable and wrap it around a very large ponderosa tree. Then I got back in the truck and tried driving and winching at the same time, using the remote for the winch . All it did was break a bit of ice, then bog down again.

I finally gave up and walked a mile back to a farmer friend for help. He brought his front-end loader, and we set the shovel under the trailer hitch so we could lift the rear of the truck just high enough so most of the rear tires were above ice level. It worked like a charm when we pulled it out backwards that way. Otherwise, I would have been in that hole till the ice melted. 

• Like 1

It was funny on Thursday night listening to the gila County sheriff begging adot to close the roads with no answer, there alittle slow to react.

40 minutes ago, trophyseeker said:

That stuck truck reminds me of an incident I had in the mid-1970s. I was driving on what was basically a DRY dirt road during the cold of winter. Came upon a spot that looked to be a frozen puddle about 20' wide. I was driving a 1/2-ton 4x4 PU with a heavy duty Warn winch on the front bumper. So I start to drive across the ice and all four wheels break through. The puddle had been about 10-12 inches deep, so the ice, which was about 1 1/2" thick came about 1/2 way up each tire. No amount of effort would move the truck; it was like driving against a 6' thick concrete wall. 

So I get out, unwind some winch cable and wrap it around a very large ponderosa tree. Then I got back in the truck and tried driving and winching at the same time, using the remote for the winch . All it did was break a bit of ice, then bog down again.

I finally gave up and walked a mile back to a farmer friend for help. He brought his front-end loader, and we set the shovel under the trailer hitch so we could lift the rear of the truck just high enough so most of the rear tires were above ice level. It worked like a charm when we pulled it out backwards that way. Otherwise, I would have been in that hole till the ice melted. 

Who has ever driven in early morning on iced dirt roads only to end up in a messy mud bog trying to get out later in the day???? Thank God for farmer friends!!!!