longbowpilot

So is it still global warming?

With the recent snow storm in AZ and polar vortex in the Midwest, can we put the theory of "global warming" to bed? Some years its hotter and drier, some years its colder and wetter.  I think the sun and the earth are going to do whatever they feel like, regardless of the "carbon footprint"

• Like 1

Glaciers aren't disappearing because it's getting colder. I think it's hard to argue it's actual existence  at this point. I think the question should be is it caused by man or part of earths natural cycle.  Personally, I believe its a combination of both.  

• Like 5

If politicians could change the climate we would really be in trouble.  If New York, DC, and CA were flooded and everybody drown then tell me the problem.😉 

Yeah but 97% of scientists say....

funny how In the northern hemisphere summer they always show pictures of the arctic melting and in the southern hemisphere summer they always show the pictures of the   Antarctic ice melting. But they never show it during the climate winter.

that, and little things, like the ice roads still freeze and melt at the same time each year.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Glaciers aren't disappearing because it's getting colder. I think it's hard to argue it's actual existence  at this point. I think the question should be is it caused by man or part of earths natural cycle.  Personally, I believe its a combination of both.  

Is man not part of earth's natural cycle?

I don’t think the name global warming is accurate for what is occurring. One thing that can’t be dismissed is the human impact on earth; specifically weather and the multiple ecosystems throughout the globe. Makes my heart hurt thinking about bull elk not hitting 350 class and something needs to change

If it is humans causing it is because of tooooo many of them.  What about human farts.    Scientists have learned that if they create a disaster in the making people will give them more money to study it.  And people with an agenda will pay a scientist to find whatever their agenda is.  A la the Mount Graham Red Squirrel.   😑

I don't like the semantics that is used for this issue. Climate change......obviously been happening since the dinosaurs disappeared and is very legit. Climate change will continue to change regardless of what us humans do. Global warming.......data communicated seems to verify either global warming or global cooling depending on what snapshot of time is used. Kind of like what our politicians do to justify their viewpoints. What is definitely legit in my mind is the catastrophic fires that we have experienced in the last 10 years or more due to the mismanagement of our forests in Arizona, Colorado, California and other western states. Those "abnormal" catastrophic fires without a doubt are caused by humans mismanagement..........many years of Smokey the bear suppressing normal fire occurrences. Without a doubt this issue should cause human created warming impact. Add in all the human impacts from new infrastructure construction of roads, buildings and concrete that go with it........ no doubt that has to have a warming impact on at least the west. But you don't hear anything about these legit impacts ironically.......only the carbon side of it which has become highly politicized. That is why I am skeptical about the whole global warming issue due to the dishonesty particularly by our politicians on the left, and also many left leaning scientists. Semantics and communications about this issue need to change to get me and many others on board with what needs to be done....... or can effectively be done about this issue. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AZkiller said:

Is man not part of earth's natural cycle?

You make a very good point.

I’d say man was part of earth’s natural cycle when we were hunter/gatherers. Then we discovered agriculture about 10,000 years ago.  Since then we’ve been able to produce a surfeit of calories through farming and, soon after, the domestication of animals, without have to roam nomadically in search of those calories. 

With that overabundance of calories, we’ve been able to have large segments of the population that didn’t need to dedicate their time to hunting and gathering food to survive.  So, we could have standing armies, inventors, craftsmen, etc.  With that free time came an increase in technology and other advancements which lead to even greater population increases.

So although we were part of the earth’s natural cycle, I’d say today we can have an unnatural (or at the very least disproportionate) effect on the planet.

But we don’t need to worry about saving the earth.  The earth will be fine.  The Earth has been through many violent, sudden changes in the past and has always been fine.  With those changes, numerous mass extinctions have occurred and the earth cared not.

I think the point is making sure that the earth continues to be habitable for humans so that the next mass extinction is not us.  It’ll take science, imagination, and work by all of us.  Like Marshall McLuhan said, “There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth. We are all crew.

I think we hunters understand this intuitively because we live closer to our hunter/gatherer roots and are not alienated from the environment like so many people seem to be today.

• Like 3