BowhunterAZ

Half ton to diesel and Ford vs Chevy

I may regret starting a debate, but would love some input... I need a bigger truck, but am terrified that I’ll hate a diesel for off- road and hunting. Looking at crew cab, short bed 250s and 2500s. I’m looking at 2017-new. Here are some questions.

1.) for those of you who have gone from a half ton to diesel, how bad is the drop off in off-road capability? Did you hate the change? 

2.) what are the pros and cons for the ford straight front axle vs GM’s independent front suspension? Which is better off-road?

3) don’t worry about telling me about dodges, lol

thanks in advance 

Oh, so sorry... didn’t want to write out 3/4 ton throughout my post. Thanks for the technical correction. I get there are half ton diesels now, but my guess is the majority of people know what I’m referring to when I said diesel. Thanks for the valuable input. 

Oh, so sorry... didn’t want to write out 3/4 ton throughout my post. Thanks for the technical correction. I get there are half ton diesels now, but my guess is the majority of people know what I’m referring to when I said diesel. Thanks for the valuable input. 

I'm a Ford fanboy. IMO a solid front axle is awesome. Both of the powertrains are good but Chevy messed up with their stupid DEF tank hanging so dang low. I would not want to chance taking it offroad too much.

• Like 3

And diesel and gas engines will perform differently off-road, so I’m not even sure what your original point is 

Just now, Lucafu1 said:

I'm a Ford fanboy. IMO a solid front axle is awesome. Both of the powertrains are good but Chevy messed up with their stupid DEF tank hanging so dang low. I would not want to chance taking it offroad too much.

Oh, good point. I didn’t even think about that. I’m a ford guy too, so I’m with you. I just assume all bigger trucks suck off-road though and if one is demonstrably better off-road, it would get the nod 

6 minutes ago, BowhunterAZ said:

And diesel and gas engines will perform differently off-road, so I’m not even sure what your original point is 

My point is why would it matter gas or diesel? What’s your budget? 

All trucks suck off road compared to side by sides. If you have a strong budget and plan to use your truck often off-road give Carli a call and set it up correctly.

I have a 2007 3/4 dodge diesel. Ive been very happy with the offroad ride, especially after I installed Bilstein shocks. Only had an issue one time when my dumbass decided to Ford a river.... if it was Oregon Trail, the game would have been over. 

Straight front axel fords will rattle your fillings out of your teeth. Avoid at all costs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cjl2010 said:

All trucks suck off road compared to side by sides. If you have a strong budget and plan to use your truck often off-road give Carli a call and set it up correctly.

I got ya. That’s true. I’ve thought about buying an ohv of some kind. That might be the best option. 

Im not sure who carli is 

5 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

My big problem is that I’ll need to pull a living quarters horse trailer, so I can’t do a whole bunch in terms of big lifts and other modifications. 

Carli suspension

Truck Vs side by side is really no comparison. I try hard to never have to take my truck over my ranger. A day in the truck might be warmer but you feel beat up at the end of the day. 

Budget always decides how smooth of a ride you want

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Carli suspension

Truck Vs side by side is really no comparison. I try hard to never have to take my truck over my ranger. A day in the truck might be warmer but you feel beat up at the end of the day. 

Budget always decides how smooth of a ride you want

Got ya. I think that might just need to be the equation with a sxs and a 3/4 ton.

I went to a few cumminsforum meets in the valley. Some of those SRP guys have some ridiculous trucks! Most of them will take you for a ride and you will be shocked how smooth you can make a diesel truck. Just depends how much money you want to spend.