BowhunterAZ

Half ton to diesel and Ford vs Chevy

How does that high end suspension affect towing? I imagine swapping rigidity for smooth has to take away from the trucks ability to handle heavier loads, but not sure. There might be a good solution for both applications 

They have so many different ways to configure a suspension system for you. If you are going to make the right choice and buy a dodge, I would suggest you call Don at Thuren suspension and talk with him as well.

Thanks for the tip. We blew up three stock Cummins engines in my family hauling horse trailers, so I have kind of sworn them off but those were 05s. I’m sure they’re better now. 

I have a 2011 f250 diesel and a 2016 GMC 1500.  I drove a 2003 f150 for 13 years.  The 3/4 ton is not a hunting rig remember that.  Nothing will out perform a 1/2 ton on 2 tracks, sand, and rock crawling.  With the 3/4 ton, you will have wheel hop that straight up doesn't happen with half tons. You also won't turn as well as the half tons.  They're just a rough riding vehicle out there.  The solid axle is stronger, but how strong do you need to be?  Are you driving the Ribicon or mostly highways?  Unless you're towing 30 times during the year, keep a half ton.  Let's be honest, we work most of the time and hunt only a small amount of time.  The only thing positive about diesels is the buku power.

1 minute ago, Saguaro said:

I have a 2011 f250 diesel and a 2016 GMC 1500.  I drove a 2003 f150 for 13 years.  The 3/4 ton is not a hunting rig remember that.  Nothing will out perform a 1/2 ton on 2 tracks, sand, and rock crawling.  With the 3/4 ton, you will have wheel hop that straight up doesn't happen with half tons. You also won't turn as well as the half tons.  They're just a rough riding vehicle out there.  The solid axle is stronger, but how strong do you need to be?  Are you driving the Ribicon or mostly highways?  Unless you're towing 30 times during the year, keep a half ton.  Let's be honest, we work most of the time and hunt only a small amount of time.  The only thing positive about diesels is the buku power.

Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of... unfortunately, my half ton won’t pull a living quarters horse trailer. I don’t intend to take it off road fir the sake of off-road, just curious how bad they are for normal hunting situations. Sounds like they’re as bad as I’m imagining, haha 

Don't be this guy! Just because you have a diesel....Fun starts at :15 seconds. :)

• Like 2

I have a GMC Denali 2500HD and I can't find too much to complain about.  It rides great and has every creature comfort.  Oh wait...  the DEF is stupid and did cost me a big chunk of change to fix, a ton of labor and not much in parts.  Other than that the truck has been great, we moved over from an Avalanche with a 6" lift but I don't try to push the heck out of it as far as off roading anymore.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

Don't be this guy! Just because you have a diesel....Fun starts at :15 seconds. :)

Lol! I might just keep my half ton and own two trucks after watching that. That was painful 

• Like 1

Dude I pull my living quarters horse trailer with my f350, daily drive it, hunt in it, and it works for them all. Yes they are rougher but it’s a heavy big truck. If you are worried about the off road ride get a side by side. They will get you where you need to go. I pull trailers with my truck a lot and take it on dirt roads a lot. It will be fine as far as the ride. The new ford is the way to go. That tranny is bulletproof stock and can handle whatever you throw at it. You will be happy going with the 6.7 liter guaranteed. 

• Like 1

If the only choices are Ford or Chevrolet. ..Ford.

I drive a 2005 Dodge Cummins. I love the cummins, the dodge is just the shell it is wrapped in. I also prefer manual transmission. 

Whatever you do, get better shocks. Bilstien is what I have and it helped. It is still a heavy duty truck though. 

Harley 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Dude I pull my living quarters horse trailer with my f350, daily drive it, hunt in it, and it works for them all. Yes they are rougher but it’s a heavy big truck. If you are worried about the off road ride get a side by side. They will get you where you need to go. I pull trailers with my truck a lot and take it on dirt roads a lot. It will be fine as far as the ride. The new ford is the way to go. That tranny is bulletproof stock and can handle whatever you throw at it. You will be happy going with the 6.7 liter guaranteed. 

Thanks for the feedback! A glimmer of hope that I won’t hate it, lol. I am leaning really hard towards ford, just didn’t know much about the front end difference. My last two trucks have been fords and they’ve been badass. 

The Chevy will ride nicer yes. You will get way better power and efficiency out of that ford though. Just depends on what you want to give up. I tow heavy and I mean heavy and the dang ford just takes it.