BowhunterAZ

Half ton to diesel and Ford vs Chevy

Research the Ford Super Duty and its death wobble...  I had a 2017, it had it, now I drive a Ram 2500.    Lost a butt ton of money on that Ford.  Good old  Ford claims it was due to the leveling blocks I had installed in the front end.  My neighbor has a new 18 F350 dually with it, can't pull their fifth wheel over 55 before it starts shaking like a dog passing a peach pit.  Theirs is stock.

4 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Research the Ford Super Duty and its death wobble...  I had a 2017, it had it, now I drive a Ram 2500.    Lost a butt ton of money on that Ford.  Good old  Ford claims it was due to the leveling blocks I had installed in the front end.  My neighbor has a new 18 F350 dually with it, can't pull their fifth wheel over 55 before it starts shaking like a dog passing a peach pit.  Theirs is stock.

Yeah, I’ve seen it. From my research, pretty much all solid front axle vehicles are susceptible to that. There was a pretty common “dodge death wobble.” Certainly not ideal, but there there’s an aftermarket steering stabilizer that supposedly helps. Did you or your neighbor try that? 

10 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

Yeah, I’ve seen it. From my research, pretty much all solid front axle vehicles are susceptible to that. There was a pretty common “dodge death wobble.” Certainly not ideal, but there there’s an aftermarket steering stabilizer that supposedly helps. Did you or your neighbor try that? 

I talked to a friend who had his 2011 f350 do a death wobble, so it’s not just these new aluminum alloy trucks.

Pretty much what’s already been said. I drive my Ram 2500 diesel some places I probably shouldn’t...doesn’t ride great off-road compared to previous half-ton, but it tows my fifth wheel nicely. I think what I notice the most is that it doesn’t turn as tightly and longer and wider wheelbase affect off-road performance compared to the previous truck. Ideally I’d tow with one and have a side-by-side or smaller truck/Jeep for off-road and hunting, but that’s not in the budget yet. 

8 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

WTH that's crazy

I’m for not taking your truck off road.  Get an atv or a side by side for that.  How bad do you want to beat up your truck?  The sxs just takes it with ease.

i drive an lbz duramax, no issues.  Plenty of power if you need it.  Solid Allison transmission.  

I just can’t afford the mechanic’s bill for a Ford.

IMG_1742.thumb.jpg.c7a5765fb59d7f88473685fc9271f8a2.jpg

Loved my 1/2 ton chevy, but I have a few more options with this set up. Never experienced any " Death Wobble". The doors rattled off road but I was able to fix some of that. Friend of mine owns a garage in Show Low, his stance is they all come in the shop, and they all have issues.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

I’ll make this easy for you. Buy a ford and put a Cummins in it. You’ll be good to go. 

With an Allison tranny lol

If you are an idiot like the one in the video then it doesnt matter what you drive.  If you pull heavy loads often then get a diesel.  For off road the diesel is heavy in the front so you dont venture into the bottomless soft stuff.  When you buy any vehicle it can be very good or very bad no matter what brand.  The biggest variable is the nut behind the wheel.  Dont put lifts, spacers. bigger tires, or any boulevard off-road clown equipment on it.  Drive it like a sensible person and most likely it will take you where you need to go.  😀 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BowhunterAZ said:

How does that high end suspension affect towing? I imagine swapping rigidity for smooth has to take away from the trucks ability to handle heavier loads, but not sure. There might be a good solution for both applications 

My 2016 Denali 2500 diesel CC with a 6.5inch BDS lift is not affected while towing. The IFS and Fox shocks make if the best riding truck I have had in a long time. This is my third 3/4 ton CC diesel. 

2 hours ago, singleshot said:

IMG_1742.thumb.jpg.c7a5765fb59d7f88473685fc9271f8a2.jpg

Loved my 1/2 ton chevy, but I have a few more options with this set up. Never experienced any " Death Wobble". The doors rattled off road but I was able to fix some of that. Friend of mine owns a garage in Show Low, his stance is they all come in the shop, and they all have issues.

What year is your ford?

• Like 1

The sad part is, this thing fully loaded (160 gallons fresh water) probably weighs as much, or close to your guys' tandem loads.

received_10101686419708458.jpeg

• Like 1