BowhunterAZ

Half ton to diesel and Ford vs Chevy

My dodge really had good power but the tranny couldn’t take it. The new 6.7 trannys are better than an Allison. Before the Allison’s were the chit but the new ford trannys really can handle and take more. 

I certainly wouldnt tow that much with a 3/4. 

I had plenty (too many) tranny issues. I had it FIXED a few years back. New electronics, kevlar bands, billet input/output shafts. Have towed the trailer fully loaded to unit 1 and unit 10 with no issues.

5 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

That’s why you buy a 6 speed with a dual disk...

Not many options like that in an 07 with the 5.9L.

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

A crap ton.

I'm honestly not sure. I've found dry weights in the 9,000-11,000 area online. 

I am pretty sure that thing fully loaded and maxed out is 13K. Thats it.

16 hours ago, BowhunterAZ said:

Yeah, I’ve seen it. From my research, pretty much all solid front axle vehicles are susceptible to that. There was a pretty common “dodge death wobble.” Certainly not ideal, but there there’s an aftermarket steering stabilizer that supposedly helps. Did you or your neighbor try that? 

I talked to a friend who had his 2011 f350 do a death wobble, so it’s not just these new aluminum alloy trucks.

Ford claimed they tested my "factory steering stabilizer"  which didnt exist, and  that it "failed miserably", so they replaced it. The  one they put on masked the wobble, but at  65  the front end was shaking still. I could at least  keep my hands on the steering wheel, although it looked like I had Parkinsons.  I even put Fox shocks on it, still unsafe.   I had been hosed by Ford on a warranty issue before with my last one,  a 1999 diesel. Their BS of not wanting to acknowledge the problem caused me to say "seeya"  so  I  drove  GM's for a few years, but  found my way to the Ram and  Cummins in 2010. Decided  to retry  Ford on  the new 6.7 at the  end of 2017 .  It does have a butt ton of power for sure, but the truck was no where near as comfortable  a ride in as my two previous Ram HD's.  Throw in Ford's typical   denial  of a defect   on a safety issue, and  I am done with them for life.  This is now my third Ram HD, and NONE have had any issues.  It is not all Ford's, but it was mine with only 9800 miles on.  Toss in my neighbors same problem.. and it's  Adios Ford! Had they admitted they have a problem, and worked with me? Doesnt matter, they didnt.

• Wow! 1

I have had my 2007 F250 Crew Cab Super Duty diesel 4x4 more places than most Jeep Rubicons will ever go.  Air down the tires to 20# and the ride is fine for a 10 day elk hunt.  Carry an air compressor.

As for "Death Wobble", a steering stabilizer just masks a problem, doesn't cure anything.  Ball joints are usually the cause.   Trust me, I know.  I have mine replaced about every 50k.  The 6" lift and 37s take their toll over time.  Pay to play.

• Like 3

My understanding is the death wobble is a castor issue in the Fords due to the axle design.  I wouldn't think a new truck should have a ball joint issue.  If it does, I expect it repaired, rather than tell the customer they have to pay to have the leveling kit removed,  truck realigned etc. before they will go any further.  As said, its not all.   Ireally  couldnt  care what a person wants to drive, it's  their choice.  I just dont want anyone else to take it in the arse on a new ford  truck purchase because they  werent aware of a   problem and be yanked around like I was.

So I too recently made the jump. ( I had a thread that was a few pages long in may/june). I went from a 1/2ton to 3/4 diesel (both dodges).

A brand new high-end rifle, fresh out of the box doesn't make a person an expert hunter.  As demonstrated in the video above, a $60,000 4x4 doesn't mean the kid knows what the heck he's doing. ha ha. There's definitely a difference between a half ton, and a 3/4ton truck when out in the woods. The main thing is gravity.... diesels weigh more than even  the same size truck with a gas engine.  My last day of dove turned into "where does this go" ... and that's when I learned what would be just a loose gravel road in a jeep or truck,  had my new truck sliding in a couple different directions. (nothing like the video, but  visions of castrations flashed in my mind, if I put a dent in our brand new truck. ha ha).  MY dodge is "new outa the box" with a factory off road package, and it rides smoother than my inlaws "plain jane"  identical truck.

I like dodges, this is my 3rd dodge (first diesel). I drove the first one into the ground, then upgraded to a 4x4, I didn't have plans on selling that one, but the wife wanted me to have something newer (because she could upgrade from a popup---yeah, it was expensive last year).  The Def tank sits lower on chevy, id be afraid of poking a hole in it in rough country. We have a ford service body at work  and it gets crap for fuel economy. I run  about 40-50 miles a day, and I average around 19mpg. I haven't found anything I don't like about it, after 14000 miles.

How are you buying it?  We started looking at used, but the rams we did find were almost as much as the new ones.  Look into Costco. You can go through Costco to buy almost any make or model. We've done it  the first time on the wifes Cherokee; and then last summer on my truck.  They show you the factory invoice, they give you 30% off all the factory installed items, and I think it was 50% off all the factory installed stuff.   

I bought the tradesman, which is what one would expect for the fleet style truck. It's the base model, but found one that had a carpet, offroad package, upgraded sound (back up camera) package, and an upgraded chrome package. Wound up being everything I wanted... without the price of a Laramie

9 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

My understanding is the death wobble is a castor issue in the Fords due to the axle design.  I wouldn't think a new truck should have a ball joint issue.  If it does, I expect it repaired, rather than tell the customer they have to pay to have the leveling kit removed,  truck realigned etc. before they will go any further.  As said, its not all.   Ireally  couldnt  care what a person wants to drive, it's  their choice.  I just dont want anyone else to take it in the arse on a new ford  truck purchase because they  werent aware of a   problem and be yanked around like I was.

Could be caster.  But if you lift a vehicle, even a levelling kit, you are changing the design specs and all of the alignment in it.  Meaning....you need a realignment, and possibly control arm adjustments to bring the front axle back into acceptable tolerances.  Once you go aftermarket parts, you have to accept certain parts are now out of warranty if the parts you replaced affect them.  Which a lift does.  "Budget boost" is not the best way to go in a vehicle under warranty unless you accept the consequences of altering the stock form.

I drove a Jeep for years.  Went from stock & 31s, to a 3" lift and 32s, to a 4" lift and 35s, to a 6" lift and 37s, back to a 3" with stretched WB/cut fenders and 39s, etc.  Each time required tweeks to the alignment.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

The sad part is, this thing fully loaded (160 gallons fresh water) probably weighs as much, or close to your guys' tandem loads.

received_10101686419708458.jpeg

How many HP does that hood scoop add?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2