Bigfish86

Javelina in 37A Newman peak

So after 5 days and 25 miles on the boots of looking for these dang stinkers I still have not been able to find them I've walked countless washes glasses for what seems like entire days on end. I've found countless fresh tracks and rooting areas and even steaming piles of scat but I cant seem to find them little turds. What am I doing wrong I dont get it. On the plus side I did find a nice shed on the first day. Anybody willing to help me out here with tips or joining me next day or two?

15512426110053136245887231783154.jpg

Based on what you said, it sounds like you have walked way to much and not stopped and looked enough. If they are in there, and it sounds like they are, get to a high point and glass. It might take hours, but they will show themselves. It is definitely a cliche, but you can't out walk your eyes. 

I once sat a ridge from sun up until around 3:00 PM, when I finally found them, becuase I was confident they were there. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rossislider said:

Based on what you said, it sounds like you have walked way to much and not stopped and looked enough. If they are in there, and it sounds like they are, get to a high point and glass. It might take hours, but they will show themselves. It is definitely a cliche, but you can't out walk your eyes. 

I once sat a ridge from sun up until around 3:00 PM, when I finally found them, becuase I was confident they were there. 

We did most that walking the first 3 days walk 25 yards stop listen look, repeat, and again and again and again. last two days we have sat and glassed all day my plan for tomorrow is to sit and glass all day again in the same area I have seen all the sign at. Hopefully I will get some luck on my side and come across them at some point the next two final days

• Like 1

I think you have a good plan.  Glass where you have seen the freshest sign and then move in once you locate them.  If the area is flat where you spot them it helps to have radios and have someone guide you in, especially if it is a long stalk.  I have tried walking washes a few times and have had very similar experiences.  Get up to a high point and glass glass glass.  Good luck and let us know how you do.

• Like 2

You have spent enough time and energy on the stink pigs.  I suggest that you go to Frys and buy a ham with bone in and tell your wife what a great hunter you are.   

You've covered plenty of ground to know what their patterns are in the area.  The tracks will tell you most of you need to know while trying to determine the best spot to gain elevation and wait em' out.  Glass hard where you've seen the most activity.  With all the recent weather, you should be able to more easily see their current bedding with freshly overturned dirt.  Good possibility the herd/s in your spot are bedding up the majority of the day and only giving you an opportunity later in the afternoon. They can be a ridiculously frustrating critter to hunt at times.  Keep working and good luck!!!

We had a tough time finding them there also -- just happened to get a glimpse driving in one day but it was in the flats and only for a tenth of a second and they disappeared.  Huge amount of sign was there and fresh but very localized.  Moved a couple hundred yards and nothing.  We concentrated on that spot for 5 days and finally found them.  The recent heavy rains really helped tell us the sign was fresh but also hampered us getting into the foothills to glass as the roads were goo.  During the archery hunt we spent 5 days glassing and only came up with one herd there also.  They can be tough to find.  THE SECRET for finding pigs is look for deer -- at least that has always been the way it works for me.  If you take pig hunting too seriously, it will drive you bonkers.  Get out, learn the area, have a good time and don't take it too seriously.  After all, you only get about 12-15 lb of de-boned meat and some find the smell really offensive.  I have learned to like it.   :D  But my success rate is certainly not every year.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

We had a tough time finding them there also -- just happened to get a glimpse driving in one day but it was in the flats and only for a tenth of a second and they disappeared.  Huge amount of sign was there and fresh but very localized.  Moved a couple hundred yards and nothing.  We concentrated on that spot for 5 days and finally found them.  The recent heavy rains really helped tell us the sign was fresh but also hampered us getting into the foothills to glass as the roads were goo.  During the archery hunt we spent 5 days glassing and only came up with one herd there also.  They can be tough to find.  THE SECRET for finding pigs is look for deer -- at least that has always been the way it works for me.  If you take pig hunting too seriously, it will drive you bonkers.  Get out, learn the area, have a good time and don't take it too seriously.  After all, you only get about 12-15 lb of de-boned meat and some find the smell really offensive.  I have learned to like it.   :D  But my success rate is certainly not every year.

I know there here I've seen all the signs that there here on multiple occasions I'm not giving up. I know it's not alot of meat but I think there delicious little creatures if taken care of properly once you shoot them. I was really wanting a try a new recipe if I got one I want to make javelina green chili posole I found that recipe and really want to try it but if I dont get one I guess I can always substitute the javelina for pork instead but would rather not

20 hours ago, Bigfish86 said:

I know there here I've seen all the signs that there here on multiple occasions I'm not giving up. I know it's not alot of meat but I think there delicious little creatures if taken care of properly once you shoot them. I was really wanting a try a new recipe if I got one I want to make javelina green chili posole I found that recipe and really want to try it but if I dont get one I guess I can always substitute the javelina for pork instead but would rather not

I completely agree. Javelina are excellent table fare when handled correctly in that hands of people that care. It does take effort, so in the hands of lazy slobs it gets a bad rap...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Coyote would taste good in pisstole.  The secret is to put only two pieces of meat in the mix and boil forever.  😕

• Haha 2

On 2/27/2019 at 9:04 AM, bonecollector said:

That shed is better than any pig. 

For those that like "participation awards" maybe...😂