Xnt

Euro Mounts outside

Will antlers lose color if placed in the shade here in southern Arizona? Lots of temperature swings but I have a place 100% in shade I'm considering putting a euro elk just to free up some room indoors.

Thanks!

Keep in mind all kinds of critters will knaw on it. 

I'm sure it would last much longer then being in the elements. I wonder if you could put a clear coat or something on it...

Yes they will turn white in the shade.  I touch mine up from time to time with minwax wood stain (special walnut and/or dark walnut).  Thin them down to adjust color to your liking.  Apply with a rag.

• Like 2

Even though sun rays aren't directly hitting the antlers, they will turn white. It will be a slower process than in direct sun, but it will happen. 

They just dry out and end up deteriorating. I've had an elk under my patio for 10 years and it's still fine. I've oiled it once.

On 2/27/2019 at 6:24 PM, AZkiller said:

They just dry out and end up deteriorating. I've had an elk under my patio for 10 years and it's still fine. I've oiled it once.

Thanks. Do they still have their brown color?

We had to mive this guy on the back porch last year. Shadeline photo is as close to direct sun as it gets...no obvious discoloration yet. Maybe some will occur over the course of a decade.

83AB08B1-0798-43A8-B8D5-1C5C8793896B.jpeg

• Like 1