Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Bolt issues

I currently shoot a Kimber 270wsm classic. Lately after I shoot a few rounds, the bolt locks in place and I can’t lift up on the bolt handle and extract the spent shell. 

I then use the palm of my hand and beat/slap the handle. Eventually it releases and I can lift the handle up and it functions like it is supposed to.

I clean it regularly, can’t see any burrs or damaged metal causing it to hang up.

Any thoughts what could cause this? 

Could be your load is right on the pressure border. When the third round sits in the chamber and powder gets warmed up then you get pressure over the line and stick the bolt. Thats a guess for what might be occurring.

• Like 1

Look on your case head, usually when your bolt sticks it will leave a extractor mark also, another sign of pressure. Take a look at your primer and see if it's flattened out or smeared, another sign of pressure.

• Like 1

Great info, I have always used the store bought Winchester Silvertip ballistic 150 gr bullets. It really likes that and it just started doing it during last years jr and general deer hunt. 

Are you guys suggesting a 130gr or another brand of ammo at the same 150gr?

If you have been shooting that ammo with no problems and now there is a problem, is this correct? Another thing to check is to chamber a round, in a safe area for sure and then open your bolt and check and see if there are any rifling marks on the bullet, could be they wasn't seated deep enough at the factory or you have a short throat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I currently shoot a Kimber 270wsm classic. Lately after I shoot a few rounds, the bolt locks in place and I can’t lift up on the bolt handle and extract the spent shell. 

I then use the palm of my hand and beat/slap the handle. Eventually it releases and I can lift the handle up and it functions like it is supposed to.

I clean it regularly, can’t see any burrs or damaged metal causing it to hang up.

Any thoughts what could cause this? 

Make sure your locking lug recesses are squeaky clean.

forepaw

• Like 1

So everything has been good till just last fall, OCT? Is the ammo the same lot # ? Have you shot up all the ammo from last fall and still having the issue with ammo bought more recently? You clean your rifle regularly so that's not and issue, maybe your rifle just happened to get built on the tighter side of spec's and ammo lot was a little to much powder or bullet runout a touch on long side and you are getting pressure spike??? Have you tried new box ammo, different lot # ?

Factory ammo is not known for consistency.  Lot to lot changes of powder can have big shifts in pressure and velocity, and even accuracy.  I would bet that is some of the culprit.  Even lot to lot changes of bullets can alter jump or CBTO.  I have seen factory ammo go from 2950 to 3075 from box to box of the same stuff.  Heck, I have seen a single box range 100fps from round to round.  I bet if you have chrono data from before, and chrono the new stuff, you might see a big difference.  Just because it is factory ammo does not mean it can't be overpressure in your rifle.  I have seen some dangerously high pressures in some factory ammo.

Even good factory loads will vary some.  Cheap ammo might shoot good at 100 yards, but a 100+fps swing can cause a mess (or miss) at 500+. 

Learn to reload.  Get consistent rounds and I would almost guarantee your groups at distance shrink drastically too.  Plus, you get to tailor your rounds to your likes and conditions.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

So everything has been good till just last fall, OCT? Is the ammo the same lot # ? Have you shot up all the ammo from last fall and still having the issue with ammo bought more recently? You clean your rifle regularly so that's not and issue, maybe your rifle just happened to get built on the tighter side of spec's and ammo lot was a little to much powder or bullet runout a touch on long side and you are getting pressure spike??? Have you tried new box ammo, different lot # ?

I grab a box and use it, I’ve ordered from different suppliers. The Winchester BST 150 gr is hard to come by, so I get what I can when available.

I’ll  try a different box all together.

4 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Factory ammo is not known for consistency.  Lot to lot changes of powder can have big shifts in pressure and velocity, and even accuracy.  I would bet that is some of the culprit.  Even lot to lot changes of bullets can alter jump or CBTO.  I have seen factory ammo go from 2950 to 3075 from box to box of the same stuff.  Heck, I have seen a single box range 100fps from round to round.  I bet if you have chrono data from before, and chrono the new stuff, you might see a big difference.  Just because it is factory ammo does not mean it can't be overpressure in your rifle.  I have seen some dangerously high pressures in some factory ammo.

Even good factory loads will vary some.  Cheap ammo might shoot good at 100 yards, but a 100+fps swing can cause a mess (or miss) at 500+. 

Learn to reload.  Get consistent rounds and I would almost guarantee your groups at distance shrink drastically too.  Plus, you get to tailor your rounds to your likes and conditions.   

I need to start, my list of wanting to do things keeps getting longer and longer.

I've been shooting a 270 WSM as my main hunting rifle for the last 10 years, with excellent results. I like the WSM line but I've seen far more pressure problems from factory ammo than any other cartridge.