Sign in to follow this  
1uglydude

Woodworking Magician Wanted

I have been gathering the pieces to restore a Rem 722 in 257 Roberts that came into my possession.  The original stock had been cut to shorten LOP and then later glued back together.  I decided to just start over with a new stock that my son and I could refinish together, thinking that it would be something special (albeit not fancy) that I could pass on to him one day.  So, after many months I finally found a takeoff stock on eBay that needed refinishing, but otherwise looked to be what I needed.

For those not familiar with the 722, they often came with a slot cut out of the side of the stock to accommodate a peep site on side of the receiver.  The pictures on eBay showed the slot, and since my rifle is tapped for one, I figured it would work just fine.  What i could not tell until the stock was in my hands was that on this particular stock someone had hand carved out the slot quite a bit.  It looks very amateurish, but the sale was "as-is."

What I would like to do is find a woodworker who can cut out a chunk of wood from the barrel channel and fit it into this slot.  I'm planning to bed the action and barrel anyways, and I figure if we use a patch from the same stock I am more likely to have the finished product look right.  Does anyone have a recommendation for who might be able to do this?  I assume it would involve some epoxy work, maybe some pins, and then matching a bit of a strange radius.  My gunsmith is a machinist.  I want a carpenter.  Open to leads anywhere in the valley, but the closer to the east side, the better.

Post a picture. One thought is to maybe take the recoil pad off and take the piece from the back part of the stock. I'm in Mesa and would like to take a look at it.

You're better off buying a stock from Richards micro fit and fitting in a slot for the peep. I believe Richards will mill it in for you. This refinishing and modifying is still going to leave you with a very modified rifle with very little collector value left any way. I've been collecting Remington 722 rifles for years and have never seen a factory original stock with a peep sight cutout. I have several 722's in my safe and none have a peep sight cutout.

• Like 2