I have a model 70 in 7mm mag that I just cant get to group anymore, I have put 1k rounds through it and purchased it used so the true round count is unknown. I am going to re barrel it with probably a brux 3 in a 1:8 twist. I plan on using the 180 vlds or eldm since I have a supply of each. My question is it worth it to re-chamber in 28 nosler or 7mm STW to gain more speed? I already have plenty of brass for the 7mm mag and from my research I can't use that brass for a 7-300 mag. I do like the 195 bergers but it seems availability can be an issue and I dont know if I can seat them far enough without a wyatt box. 

7RM with 180s will kill anything you want within 98% of hunting scenarios.

The 28 Nosler is an awesome cartridge. Expensive brass however,and takes a lot of powder to run them.  But you gain about 250fps over the 7RM.

7STW is a great round.  Brass can be really hard to find at times.  

7-300WM is a great way to go too.  Brass can be made from any .300WM case.  They are everywhere.  But you will never have properly headstamped brass if that matters to you.  If you eve go out of country, that will matter.

195 Bergers are great projectiles.  They WERE hard to find when Berger moved from CA to AZ.  But not so much anymore.  But like any high demand item, they can be out of stock at times.  

The powders that perform best in 28 Nosler are what is hard to find right now.  RL33, RL26, NV570, NV565.  

• Like 1

I've been reloading for over 50 years now for both competition and hunting. Belted cartridges can be headache. The 28 Nosler best out of the cartridges you mentioned.

I have only been reloading for 25 years.  If you reload a belted magnum correctly, they are no more difficult than a non-belted cartridge.  I have loaded thousands of rounds of belted magnums.  .257 Weatherby, .264WM, 7RM, 7 Weatherby, 7STW, .300WM, .300 Weatherby, .30-378Weatherby, .338WM.  Never had an issue yet.  My personal 7RM has up to 10 firings on some if the brass as well.

I also don't like the 6.5CM shooting elk at 1000 yards.  So my opinion might not be popular with some people.

• Like 3

I don't know what your barrel cleaning habits are, but you might want to clean it one more time with some sort of copper remover solvent, like Sweets 7.62 or Montana Extreme Copper Killer before you give up the ghost on that barrel. Keep running patches through til they come out white.

Other than some cool points you won’t gain anything from a hunting stand point from the other 7mm you mentioned.   All are good and will do well.   If you goal is to shoot the heavys fast then 28 Nosler is a great choice.  It’s at a bigger cost to load with less barrel life.  There is a cost and effect to all choices.

But if it weee me I would do the 28 Nosler despite the extra cost, just cuz I like cool points!!

The 28 nosler is getting tempting just the brass is a little on the spendy side. But you gotta pay to play sometimes and you get cool points. Lance you are right about finding RL26, I am down to my last lb of it. I use it in my .270 and 6.5 SAUM. I found some at powdervalley but I didn't jump on it and its gone now. I am used to large powder charges with my .300 wby.

10Turkeys I used Hoppes copper terminator on the barrel but it didnt improve the accuracy at all. 

Gonna wait till the elk results come out anyway. Might have to upgrade the muzzleloader first. 

I recommend staying with the 7RM.  I have and love my 28 Nosler, but it's expensive and has a short barrel life.  The 7RM will do everything and more for all hunting situations.

Yes I know the 7RM is more capable then I am but you always gotta have the new shiny gadget. The 7RM will do everything my skill set allows but the 28 will do it faster. And more expensive. 

You may not be able to  just put a new barrel on if you go to a 28 Nosler. The feed lips will have to be modified for it to feed a cartridge since the 28 Nosler case is a lot larger in diameter.