Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

Ticks and javelina

On 3/3/2019 at 7:30 AM, Mr September said:

Translation: If you think Javelina stink really bad: You are most likely a very poor hunter that can't get/take a good shot on an animal that is near blind and will tolerate numerous mistakes. As far as Texas Javelina are concerned, I have been there twice killed Javelina both times and the ones in South TX were covered in fleas and ticks, the ones in West TX not so much.

dang I’m surprised you can even see us little folks from the top of that high horse. 

The only time ive have them smell less was after several days of rain and killed one in the rain. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 25-06 said:

And all the best field care in the world ain't gunna make em taste any better.

I always thought that if you put enough BBQ sauce, onions, and garlic on something it would at least be edible. How wrong I was. My Buddy makes a sausage out of them, and he mixes enough pork and spices with it that it doesn't taste like Javelina.

I posted this in another stream one time, but after 20+years shooting these things and I couldn't count how many pigs out of our group I still can't figure out why there are occasions when they are some of best tasting meat or some of the worst.  We pitted a few one time along with just about every other game and I swear melted in your mouth and gone before anything else was, did it again a few years later and just horrible.  Last year we cut and grilled some fresh backstraps for a buddy from out of state the day he killed his first and they were fantastic.  I got excited and did the same thing for my wife and daughter after they killed their first last year and just not good.  All taken care of relatively the same way.  So I typically use for summer sausage, jerky, b-fast sausage and chorizo and it always comes out good with the mix and about 15-20% pork shoulder or bacon bits and pieces mixed in and save my deer/elk/antelope for steaks and burger. 

3 hours ago, jdown said:

I posted this in another stream one time, but after 20+years shooting these things and I couldn't count how many pigs out of our group I still can't figure out why there are occasions when they are some of best tasting meat or some of the worst.  We pitted a few one time along with just about every other game and I swear melted in your mouth and gone before anything else was, did it again a few years later and just horrible.  Last year we cut and grilled some fresh backstraps for a buddy from out of state the day he killed his first and they were fantastic.  I got excited and did the same thing for my wife and daughter after they killed their first last year and just not good.  All taken care of relatively the same way.  So I typically use for summer sausage, jerky, b-fast sausage and chorizo and it always comes out good with the mix and about 15-20% pork shoulder or bacon bits and pieces mixed in and save my deer/elk/antelope for steaks and burger. 

I believe that it may depend on what they eat. I always brine them twice and let the meat rest for up to a week in the fridge. I shot a buck this year and it was really gamey/stinky and the worst I have ever had.

16 hours ago, Coues assassin said:

I’m glad people think they stink and taste so terrible. More for me! 

I couldn't agree more...^^^ ___ The trouble is for some reason a lot of them still kill then disrespect the little desert warriors, and I suspect many of those same guys waste the meat which is unacceptable. If they are such a low level piece of trash not worthy of anything more than being referred to as a "stink-a-lina", "stink pigs", "rats", or "rodents" then why would these "hunters" debase themselves and hunt such worthless stinky piece of garbage? It's confusing to me. I have no interest in pursuing something I have no respect, or admiration for... JMO

• Like 4

Just cuz they stink it doesn't mean they don't get eaten. 

1 hour ago, Mr September said:

I couldn't agree more...^^^ ___ The trouble is for some reason a lot of them still kill then disrespect the little desert warriors, and I suspect many of those same guys waste the meat which is unacceptable. If they are such a low level piece of trash not worthy of anything more than being referred to as a "stink-a-lina", "stink pigs", "rats", or "rodents" then why would these "hunters" debase themselves and hunt such worthless stinky piece of garbage? It's confusing to me. I have no interest in pursuing something I have no respect, or admiration for... JMO

Exactly what I was thinking, I tell people that I enjoy eating javelina and then every Tom dick and Harry try’s to offer me their javelina if they get one. Should be illegal to harvest an animal with the intent of not eating it. Truthfully I think it’s a lot of newish hunters who are able to have success at actually getting something.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

I have shot them in the head and they still stink. And stink bad.

Must not of been close enough when you shot them in the head you sorry excuse of a hunter!!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Must not of been close enough when you shot them in the head you sorry excuse of a hunter!!!

Maybe I need to go to Texas and learn how to hunt.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Coues assassin said:

Exactly what I was thinking, I tell people that I enjoy eating javelina and then every Tom dick and Harry try’s to offer me their javelina if they get one. Should be illegal to harvest an animal with the intent of not eating it. Truthfully I think it’s a lot of newish hunters who are able to have success at actually getting something.

Agreed.

10 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

Maybe I need to go to Texas and learn how to 

Nah, jus start hunting harder to hunt animals right here in AZ. Like Fire ants.

21 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

Maybe I need to go to Texas and learn how to hunt.

You won't learn ANYTHING about "hunting" in Texas...😂