Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

Ticks and javelina

16 hours ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Terrible eating ....absolutely terrible...

20180724_182604.jpg

Yeah I'm suffering through ours as well...😂

No tick ever on any Javie's I have harvested or assisted on. I have had a few Elk and Deer with ticks.

Another huge determinant is taste is field care. 

If you are touching your recently harvested javie and later process it...that is your first problem. YOU are contaminating the meat. Think about all of your hero photos....

I go way over board but I use 6-8 knifes and at least 10 pairs of gloves to process my javie. The gloves and knife is changed out for a fresh one ANY time they touch the outside. 

The famous gland? Do touch it, do not even look at it. It will come off with the hide. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AZLance said:

We just feed them to our dogs...they dont seem to mind the taste!

A dog will also lick itself.

4 hours ago, wish2hunt said:

A dog will also lick itself.

Exactly...made for each other...

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, AZLance said:

We just feed them to our dogs...they dont seem to mind the taste!

Last time I fed my gsp a javi brat it spit it out on the floor. And then started to roll all over it. He was a straight up sh!t head that would eat anything. I quit huntin them after that. To me propper field care is hucking em off a cliff.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 25-06 said:

Last time I fed my gsp a javi brat it spit it out on the floor. And then started to roll all over it. He was a straight up sh!t head that would eat anything. I quit huntin them after that. To me propper field care is hucking em off a cliff.

Thank you for quitting. Seriously.  That is the ethical path for those that have your sentiment...👍

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

16 hours ago, 25-06 said:

Remember. “Throw it out and eat the board”

• Confused 1

On 3/9/2019 at 9:56 AM, More D said:

No tick ever on any Javie's I have harvested or assisted on. I have had a few Elk and Deer with ticks.

Another huge determinant is taste is field care. 

If you are touching your recently harvested javie and later process it...that is your first problem. YOU are contaminating the meat. Think about all of your hero photos....

I go way over board but I use 6-8 knifes and at least 10 pairs of gloves to process my javie. The gloves and knife is changed out for a fresh one ANY time they touch the outside. 

The famous gland? Do touch it, do not even look at it. It will come off with the hide. 

100% correct. ^^^ ___  Good handling=Good final product

I am kinda on both sides. I enjoy hunting them but don’t like the meat or smell anymore. I decided to not hunt or put in for them again. I don’t think it’s right to kill one then not use the meat. If they are so nasty and so bad then just don’t put in. 

• Like 4

On 3/1/2019 at 2:06 PM, ctafoya said:

Cuz they stink. 

Like chit they do.. I killed one and the coyotes wouldn't eat the circus.

Just made 65lbs of summer sausage and 5lbs of jerky out of last years 4 pigs and haven't had anyone yet say anything but good and can I have more.  5 in the cooler right now and thinking another batch of chorizo or breakfast sausage for 1/2 and then keep the rest of summer sausage toward the end of the year.  

59866573240__5B239B7D-E59C-4C20-900E-49FB747C91A5.JPG

IMG_2440.JPG

• Like 5