Sign in to follow this  
tomgobbler

Ticks and javelina

I have stopped hunting them as well because i can't stomach the taste. i've tried it every way and it always tastes like a javelina. The last time i killed one i shot a little guy intentionally, probably 25lbs live weight. i took extremely good care of it, made sure not to handle it much, touch the meat with the hide, etc. i took it home and trimmed everything that even remotely looked off and made a pot of HOT green chili out of the whole thing. It tasted fine for a few days but about day 3 or 4 it started to taste like a javelina again. I once boiled a skull in a turkey fryer pot. i cleaned the pot about a million times and stored it. 6 months or so later i caught a flathead and had a big fish fry in said pot. every single piece of fish tasted just like that javelina smelled. never again...

On 1/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, GreyGhost85 said:

I have stopped hunting them as well because i can't stomach the taste. i've tried it every way and it always tastes like a javelina. The last time i killed one i shot a little guy intentionally, probably 25lbs live weight. i took extremely good care of it, made sure not to handle it much, touch the meat with the hide, etc. i took it home and trimmed everything that even remotely looked off and made a pot of HOT green chili out of the whole thing. It tasted fine for a few days but about day 3 or 4 it started to taste like a javelina again. I once boiled a skull in a turkey fryer pot. i cleaned the pot about a million times and stored it. 6 months or so later i caught a flathead and had a big fish fry in said pot. every single piece of fish tasted just like that javelina smelled. never again...

Yep, they'll ruin good cookware.

Awe man, javelina flavored flathead. Mmm deleiscious. I bet Mr September would love that.

• Like 1

Glad you stopped hunting them. Right thing to do if you can't stomach eating them. Wish more would do the same. Good man.

Wow, I've never seen a tick on a Javelina either come to think of it.  Buckshot and cactus spines, yes.  I think they make great green chili and sausage.  Not so found of them as roasts or steaks, but its OK.  I've had elk that was worse.  We have fed Javelina green chili to people who loved it until they found out what it was.  How can naming a thing change its taste?

I boiled a head for days (still have it).  My wife was not impressed, but the pot (and head) came out fine.  While sun bleaching in the back yard my dog buried it in our sand playground.  Took me a year to find it, but it was really clean by then.  In the future I would let the dog ants and beetles do the work instead and then finish on the roof to bleach.  A dog would do too much damage if not boiled first.  Live and learn.