ctafoya

Hunting other states

Well, another year without drawing an elk tag. I started looking at other states today and it seems like a pain in the @$$ navigating the sites. Anyone else notice this, or am I just being difficult because our websites seem easy.

I thought our website is difficult compared to other states.  At least in other states the draw site works.  Applied for Utah for the first time and took me 8 min for 5 species 

Yeah, after my disappointment today, I looked at the Colorado regs. Gave me a headache!

If you want to hunt Elk out of state and have a good chance at being successful Colorado is NOT the state to look at.  I highly recommend looking at general tags in Wyoming and Montana.  You can hunt the rut in Wyoming with a bow every other year with a general tag.  The success rates are much higher than Colorado.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Well, another year without drawing an elk tag. I started looking at other states today and it seems like a pain in the @$$ navigating the sites. Anyone else notice this, or am I just being difficult because our websites seem easy.

Try the online draw in New Mexico. So easy compared to here. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

NM is what gave me a headache

Their online draw system is way simpler than AZ's. Of course figuring out which hunts and units u want to apply for is going to be a headache.

I grew up in AZ and I recall the draw started in mid 70's. Then life happened and I ended working and rasing  a family  up in Utah. Utah went to a a limited entry tag type F-upped system to spread out hunt pressure. Then Colorado had to reign in their tags hunt pressure. I tell you the AZ system is far better than all the others out west. I have used it as a resident & non resident and compared to CO and UT  I love the AZ system. BTW my 28 year old son took his first buck in 35B last year as a non resident, that makes three generations of AZ hunters with his success for us.

I think Utah has the easiest online draw system but I figure I just buy a ten dollar raffle ticket for each critter in that state. New Mexico is pretty good as well, too bad you have to buy a hunting license their this year. I rank AZ online system above Colorado and Wyoming. Wyoming is the worst in my opinion. Also with point creep in Wyoming the general tag took above 2 points for 100 percent draw odds in the regular draw.  

I do Utah, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, and some misc raffles every year.  If I didn't live in AZ I would find it to be one of the biggest pain in the butt websites and draw systems.  They all have their ins an outs as far as odds and simplicity to work with.  As far as quality elk hunts go they are getting pretty hard to come by without waiting 10 to 25 years for.  If you do archery and muzzy you definitely help your odds in procuring a bull tag. New Mexico has some great hunting but they don't have a bonus point system and they make you front the money every year.  If I already have a busy year planned I don't mess with NM. Utah is my favorite easy to use website, although I have yet to draw one of their premium tags :)

As far as trying to figure out what units to put in for I would suggest subscribing to a service such as Huntin Fool or Gohunt.com to assist in unit and state breakdowns.  Unless you have an inordinate amount of time on your hands the task of figuring out this stuff can be overwhelming.  I hope this helps, if you are going to do Utah you better be quick it is just a few days away.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rkv09 said:

think Utah has the easiest online draw system

I like that AZ has a draw for each species with 5 hunt choices. Last I used UT you got I application that you had to put your choices on Deer, Elk once in a lifetime, that's the part I did not like.

2 hours ago, wildwoody said:

I think I'm going to do Kentucky this year..

Yeah, some great hunting back east.  I’d look at going in on a lease in Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Indiana, or Missouri.  Cheap, good hunting if you are looking, in certain states.  

I was paying 225 for 4 tags in Missouri, 2 deer and 2 turkey, and additional tags were 25 each.

if you’re  single, you need to be dating a midwestern farmers daughter.  Worked for me.

• Like 2