AZElkhntr

CC Hit (First Elk Hunt) GEAR TIPS

So.... I just noticed my CC was hit as I hope many of you did. I have been hunting elk (with family and friends) before but would like some tips on building my own gear. I have basically piggybacked my hunting gear off my dad for my whole life but am starting to get my own stuff and want some suggestions on starter gear that won't break the bank!.... Is that even possible? I live in Tucson and am willing to buy old gear if anyone has some stuff they want to get rid of. 

I have the basics... Binos, I have VTX Vulture HD 10x56, I have a Rem 700 LR 7mm ult mag but.... I really lack in Camo (jackets, pants, shirts), Boots, day packs and things that are not like bare bones hunting gear. That's what I really want to focus on... Any economical suggestions?     

27 Or 6A. Late Rifle. 

Tripod for your optics.

Camo isn't as necessary as being warm, comfortable and able to cover ground. You'll want to be able to layer to accommodate big swings in temps. 

I'd research good boots on this forum, buy them new and break them in scouting well before the hunt. 

There are so many good packs out there, keep an eye on this site's classifieds to save a few bucks. Many have unconditional warranties. 

• Like 1

Buy a really good pair of boots and break them, and your binos are fine and a tripod makes a big difference. 

• Like 1

like stated above, don't need camo on a rifle hunt. Spend your money on boots and a decent pack(I have an eberlestock dragonfly for sale by the way). get a tripod and a decent range finder and go kill your first elk. 

• Like 1

PM me the cost on that pack eberlestock dragonfly

You are going to need a good sharp knife and some game bags if you get one down!  

+1. You can definitely break the bank and it count for little on your hunt. Especially rifle. I don't even bother with camo on my rifle hunts anymore. Or scent spray for that matter. Good optics, good boots, and some time at the range will be your best investments.

Boots! And like others have said, Camo is not needed on a rifle hunt. 

Also a good tent and comfortable sleeping gear. That is if you plan on going without a camper. A kodiak canvas tent is money well spent. I spent 2 weeks in mine on an elk hunt. Just happened to turn out my honeymoon was the same elk hunt.  :)

• Like 1

Danner Pronghorn boots have never let me down for both comfort and warmth.  You can find them just under $200 if that's in your budget. 

Good cold weather waterproof boots.

Get a Havalon.

Have three plans to stay warm.

Start working out now!

27 is big country, a pair of 15s would be better to glas off a tripod with. If you get a havalon (I like the Gerber version) get a pair of cut resistant gloves off of Amazon.  Make sure you know what your bullet drops are going to be at that different altitude. And get some good game bags. Start checking camofire every morning, they regularly have game bags and good boots for sale. Also check rokslide forum under gear deals daily.