AZElkhntr

CC Hit (First Elk Hunt) GEAR TIPS

2 hours ago, creed said:

Also a good tent and comfortable sleeping gear. That is if you plan on going without a camper. A kodiak canvas tent is money well spent. I spent 2 weeks in mine on an elk hunt. Just happened to turn out my honeymoon was the same elk hunt.

46 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

f you get a havalon (I like the Gerber version) get a pair of cut resistant gloves off of Amazon. 

I'm selling my Kodiak...served me well on 3 late season elk hunts. Plenty of room for a table, stove/propane tree and a cot. Two cots would work ok too. I'm in Tucson. That's good advice if you use a Havalon too...surgical blades coupled with cold hands in dead bulls can lead to scary cuts if you are not careful.

At camp: -35* sleeping bag, cot, sleep pad, tent capable or can be modified to run a wood stove. I have a Kodiak cabin tent. Camp comfort and drying out every day will keep u hunting.

On foot: i use a badlands 2200, danner boots, have some basic kuiu clothing that I layer up under with whatever cold weather type stuff I have. 10x42 Bino’s in a badlands chest pouch, rangefinder, carry 15x56 binos, tripod and small stool in my pack. Havalon and outdoor edge replaceable blade knife, and orange trail tape. Game bags and $.99 sheet of painters plastic to lay my meat on to keep it clean. Fire starter stuff.

These are the big things that have helped me alot in my quest to do what your are starting. 

Range time

Boots (I bought Crispi Nevadas)

Layers and good base layers

Knife (Benchmade saddle mtn skinner)

Pack (Badlands with inner frame)

Game bags (Black Ovis Elk Bags)

Tripod

Late rifle can be cold as HECK! Get good boots and base layers. If you get cold/sweaty with bad base layers your life will suck. I did it on my last late rifle tag, it sucked, and it sucked the fun out of hunting quick. 

A good place to sleep is nice too. I have a Kodiak canvas tent which is awesome, but on a late hunt that could be pretty darn cold. Have a good heat source. I also bought a used toy hauler trailer because a good heater and a warm shower are very nice to have when you get back to camp.

You don’t have to spend a lot to enjoy the hunt. I get my game bags AKA pillow cases at Goodwill for $0.50 or less on 1/2 day. Harbor freight has tarps and other items. Really no need for camo on rifle hunt. Just warm clothes good boots and comfortable sleeping setup. Again there you can double two cheaper sleeping bags to get awesome comfort vs. expensive one. I use moving blankets from HF on floor and on top of bag in really cold nights. With four boys I had to Improvise otherwise I would be broke. Check out Craigslist and other classified ads. Hunter/Outdoorsman are gear nuts and always selling of stuff at good prices. Here is a screenshot of my meat knive set. Not one over $25 but do awesome job. Guess you could say I am RUNNING Cheap but having fun. 

But like other posts I own good glass Swarovski 8.5x42 EL (hand hold better than 10s)and 15X56 w tripod for long range.  But my boys have Vortex which are great for price. 

Good luck this fall and enjoy the campfire. 

3B1FF6E6-D6DD-4DFB-9B73-6092D72CFC72.png

• Like 1

For elk hunting depending on the weather conditions. I use running/trail running shoes instead of boots, quieter and do not tire my legs as fast.  Walmart has there camo on clearance right now if you go the camo route for like a dollar.  speaking in general terms in the white mountains if you get drawn there, the lows are around 15-20 degrees for the late hunt and the highs are around 50.  If you are on strict budget instead blowing it on three hundred dollar sleeping bag take your normal bag and a few blankets.   good luck.  if you have an area around Show Low look me up and I'll show you a few spots. 

A pocket knife, fanny pack, 7x35 tasco's and a granola bar.

• Like 3

Of course Swiss army, if not the old Rambo survival knife

And if crap really hits the fan you can bust open those tacos and use the lens to start a fire to warm up that frozen granola bar. 

Kidding aside, lots of good info in this thread. Pillow cases make great game bags unless you carry your kill kit on your back then lightweight is key.  Also as mentioned you can sleep warm without spending buku bucks. Comfort is king when it's cold out.  If your cold when your out or sleeping it becomes crappy quick. 

• Like 1

Congrats!

My suggestion, along with the great info herein, is get at least 2 very good/loyal friends who own and have used good pack frames to help you get your elk out!  Offer to and feed them well so they feel committed to you, and they'll more than make up for it.  It helps if they can actually help "guide" you, but that's not necessarily a requirement.

While perhaps on the funny side, it's also a serious suggestion!  If you haven't been on an elk hunt and helped take care of a downed animal, you're in for a big surprise as they can be huge animals, especially when you're on your own.  Don't underestimate what it takes to get one out and care for it properly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1uofacat said:

While perhaps on the funny side, it's also a serious suggestion!  If you haven't been on an elk hunt and helped take care of a downed animal, you're in for a big surprise as they can be huge animals, especially when you're on your own.  Don't underestimate what it takes to get one out and care for it properly.

Killed a cow with my 10 year old son on an otc hunt once. No pack frame and was only my second experience dealing with one in the field. Let me tell you it was BRUTAL!.  Killed it on Christmas eve and it literally took all day to get it out and back to camp. 

Cool thing was cooking some backstrap steaks over the fire that night my boy said "if I died tonight I would die happy".  One of my most cherished memories. 

• Like 3

I can't thank you all enough! What an awesome community we are all part of. My hunt notebook is getting full!! Keep em' coming! 

Get in shape, the altitude can be a butt kicker. Enjoy the fun

Oh ya good GPS, and know how to us it, it will be a great help, from truck/camp to game trails and watering areas.

• Like 1