Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

To Rail or Not to Rail, that is the question?

I have a dilemma. I understand the rail, but I dont necessarily like the look on a hunting rifle, and I have had good success with Leupold mounts, and Talley 1 PC mounts.

I have 2 or 3 Howa 1500 rifles that need new mounts and rings. I have always used Leupold for the most part with great success, so I am torn. Do I put rails on these rifles which can be more convenient, but also more costly?

I can seem to find a steel rail for a Howa long action either, so i dont know if I love the idea of an aluminum rail with steel rings.

2 or the 3 rifles will be getting Burris Veracity 3-15x50 scopes with 30mm tubes. The other will be a 1" tube. If that matters.

They will all be hunting rifles that are 0-600 yard guns mostly. The 257 weatherby might stretch past that, but I doubt the two 6.5x55 will.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with leupold bases. You could not give me a set of talleys.

I prefer a steel rail and rings. Also doesnt Howa 1500 LA use Rem 700 LA bases? Find a steel rail for Rem 700 long action and you'll be set?

Has anyone used the Burris Tactical rings for rail systems? The seem to get great reviews for a much better price point then most picatinny rings.

Seekins base and rings or Hawkins rings. I have a set of talleys rings on my 3006 spr. but I lapped them. This rifle just might get seekins base/rings and a SHV 3 x 10 x 42 though.

Every rifle I own has a Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail (except the actions w. Integrated bases) and Seekins alloy rings.  And they all hold high end scopes.  If they didn't work, I would not keep using them.  

Vortex rings are seekins correct?

21 hours ago, SHOOTER said:

Nothing wrong with leupold bases. You could not give me a set of talleys.

I prefer a steel rail and rings. Also doesnt Howa 1500 LA use Rem 700 LA bases? Find a steel rail for Rem 700 long action and you'll be set?

What's wrong with Talley? Bought the first pair about 15 years ago and put them on a pre T3 Tikka in 30-06 where they still are today and I have them on four other rigs.

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

What's wrong with Talley? Bought the first pair about 15 years ago and put them on a pre T3 Tikka in 30-06 where they still are today and I have them on four other rigs.

Nothing is wrong with them for most people i know many  people who love them.  Even after being lapped I have seen them do some weird things and cause some tracking issues on a long range rig. They just aren't for me I will stick with steel rails and rings 

• Like 1

I just lapped a set of Seekins rings that had only 10% bearing surface touching the scope. Seekins and Vortex in the same sentence with the word precision is an oxymoron, LOL! They're good rings after they've been lapped but nothing you should be paying extra for. Whatever rings you buy lap them and if you buy a picatinney one piece base bed it so it'll mate properly with your receiver. The average factory receiver is not straight.

anybody have a 34mm lap bar I can borrow?

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, Hoss50 said:

I have a dilemma. I understand the rail, but I dont necessarily like the look on a hunting rifle, and I have had good success with Leupold mounts, and Talley 1 PC mounts.

I have 2 or 3 Howa 1500 rifles that need new mounts and rings. I have always used Leupold for the most part with great success, so I am torn. Do I put rails on these rifles which can be more convenient, but also more costly?

I can seem to find a steel rail for a Howa long action either, so i dont know if I love the idea of an aluminum rail with steel rings.

2 or the 3 rifles will be getting Burris Veracity 3-15x50 scopes with 30mm tubes. The other will be a 1" tube. If that matters.

They will all be hunting rifles that are 0-600 yard guns mostly. The 257 weatherby might stretch past that, but I doubt the two 6.5x55 will.

Thoughts?

BTW, Midway has Howa 1500 picatinney one piece base on sale, 50% off. Good deal and free shipping over $49