Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

To Rail or Not to Rail, that is the question?

20 hours ago, L Cazador said:

I just lapped a set of Seekins rings that had only 10% bearing surface touching the scope. Seekins and Vortex in the same sentence with the word precision is an oxymoron, LOL! They're good rings after they've been lapped but nothing you should be paying extra for. Whatever rings you buy lap them and if you buy a picatinney one piece base bed it so it'll mate properly with your receiver. The average factory receiver is not straight.

I think you must have gotten the exception to the rule.  I have installed 20+ sets of Seekins or Vortex PWR rings with absolutely 0 issues and not a single one has needed lapped or left a mark when torqued to proper specs.  In fact, they are the ONLY rings I run on every rifle I own.  And I do not own any cheap scopes that I would not worry about.

I guess the old saying is true, One man's trash is another man's treasure. I have never had any problems with Talley rings.

20 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I think you must have gotten the exception to the rule.  I have installed 20+ sets of Seekins or Vortex PWR rings with absolutely 0 issues and not a single one has needed lapped or left a mark when torqued to proper specs.  In fact, they are the ONLY rings I run on every rifle I own.  And I do not own any cheap scopes that I would not worry about.

This wasn't the only set of Seekins that needed lapping. As a matter of fact only about 10% of  Precision Seekins and Vortex were good to go without lapping.  They may make them as 'matched pairs' but the fact that they do not number them makes me doubt they are matched. That's not to say other makes of rings have been just as bad or worse. The best bang for your buck are TPS rings, about $40 less than Seekins and yes they'll need lapping too. Over the past twenty years of mounting hundreds scopes for my rifles and many friends' rifles, there has only been a few sets of rings that only needed minor lapping. The best being Kelbly rings mounted on Panda dovetails and Nightforce rings on Nightforce piccatinney rails. Are you checking bearing surface with dykem? Understand that the proper mating of ring and scope surfaces is dependent on a straight and true mounting base. That is a truly straight action with a true mounted base. That's why I recommend bedding a scope base on a factory action. Proper ring and base torque will not leave marks but also will allow true adjustment of scope and increased longevity of scope performance. Performance meaning repeatability of adjustments and security of maintaining POI. That last word "performance" is an issue most folks don't take into consequence when properly mounting a scope. I learned all this some 50 years ago from my mentor a benchrest competitor! I might add that a true precision rifle is only as good as the scope and mounting system! Well maybe the guy behind it too, LOL!

Use the two-piece Burris Extreme tactical bases and Burris signature rings or tactical rings. Super solid set up and no stress or ring marks on the scope with the ability to add MOA inserts to the rings if you need it. Rem 700 bases will work on the Howa. 

Rings-Bases 1.jpg

Rings-Bases 2.jpg

I spoke with EGW on the difference between there Howa LA rail and Remington rail. The difference is where the notch for the loading port lines up to match the action. The 700LA holes are the same, the notch is different. 

9 hours ago, L Cazador said:

This wasn't the only set of Seekins that needed lapping. As a matter of fact only about 10% of  Precision Seekins and Vortex were good to go without lapping.  They may make them as 'matched pairs' but the fact that they do not number them makes me doubt they are matched. That's not to say other makes of rings have been just as bad or worse. The best bang for your buck are TPS rings, about $40 less than Seekins and yes they'll need lapping too. Over the past twenty years of mounting hundreds scopes for my rifles and many friends' rifles, there has only been a few sets of rings that only needed minor lapping. The best being Kelbly rings mounted on Panda dovetails and Nightforce rings on Nightforce piccatinney rails. Are you checking bearing surface with dykem? Understand that the proper mating of ring and scope surfaces is dependent on a straight and true mounting base. That is a truly straight action with a true mounted base. That's why I recommend bedding a scope base on a factory action. Proper ring and base torque will not leave marks but also will allow true adjustment of scope and increased longevity of scope performance. Performance meaning repeatability of adjustments and security of maintaining POI. That last word "performance" is an issue most folks don't take into consequence when properly mounting a scope. I learned all this some 50 years ago from my mentor a benchrest competitor! I might add that a true precision rifle is only as good as the scope and mounting system! Well maybe the guy behind it too, LOL!

Lance you must not know a dang thing about mounting scopes.......

2 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Lance you must not know a dang thing about mounting scopes.......

I think Lance knows what he's doing! Some of us really go to the extreme! This post is not about slamming anybody or any product. It's just the truth about the what the market has become. The word " precision" is a marketing ploy that is aimed at the "unknowing". Minute of angle or minute of deer is what some folks are willing to accept. As a competition shooter I only accept zero groups!

7 minutes ago, L Cazador said:

I think Lance knows what he's doing! Some of us really go to the extreme! This post is not about slamming anybody or any product. It's just the truth about the what the market has become. The word " precision" is a marketing ploy that is aimed at the "unknowing". Minute of angle or minute of deer is what some folks are willing to accept. As a competition shooter I only accept zero groups!

Well if your a competitive shooter, you must have a lot of hardware, post some of it up!

3 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Well if your a competitive shooter, you must have a lot of hardware, post some of it up!

I wouldn't want to make you cry, LOL!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, L Cazador said:

I wouldn't want to make you cry, LOL!

Oh my tear ducts are pretty dry. You wouldn't want us to think you were an internet blow hard would you?

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

Oh my tear ducts are pretty dry. You wouldn't want us to think you were an internet blow hard would you?

Hush you insignificant blow hard. It is not mere pictures that signify success! It is the actions of success itself that prove thine actions. Touche!

8 hours ago, 10Turkeys said:

I think we found another 1000 yard keyboard warrior.

What Class do you shoot?