Sign in to follow this  
rpowell600

Possible To Be Allergic To Only Bass?

Last summer I went out fishing and decided to bring back a LMB to pan fry. I love eating whole pan fried perch, catfish fillets, and typical store bought fish (tilapia, rock fish, cod). Well, a little after eating both fillets of bass I started to become very itchy on my arms and chest. If I remember right I had a sneezing fit too. Now, I've ate fish all my life including seafood without issue except for bass. Last year was my first time eating that. Is it possible to be allergic to only one type of fish? The bass was delicious and they are a blast to catch. Ill admit Im kind of afraid to try it again lol.

Yea I kind of figured. I dont have any allergies of any sort and healthy overall. Im stumped and definitely dont want to experience anaphylaxis.

I can touch bass without feeling any sort of itchiness like I have been reading which makes me wonder.

No clue about the allergies but curious if it was one of the lakes that has high mercury levels and warn against eating the fish. I think it's funny that they have a DO NOT EAT THE FISH sign posted at the fish cleaning station. 

• Like 1

Well I know from personal experience it’s possible to develop allergies late in life and develop allergies to specific species of nuts. It’s definitely know that you can be allergic to different types of mammals.

At 32 years old I had anaphylaxis two times in 8 months. The first was caused by sunflower seeds. The second was apparently from almonds.

The second time just about took me out. Blood pressure plummeted. I passed out and had to receive epinephrine. Not a pleasant experience that anyone should mess around with. Anything that makes you itchy should be avoided. And consider getting blood tests done to identify other possible allergens.

you body doesn't develop an allergic reaction the first time it is exposed to something, it is the 2nd or subsequent times that it develops, took it a while to decide it doesn't like something

for mild symptoms you can take Benedryl, for worse ones you need Epi, especially when your throat starts closing up

11 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

No clue about the allergies but curious if it was one of the lakes that has high mercury levels and warn against eating the fish. I think it's funny that they have a DO NOT EAT THE FISH sign posted at the fish cleaning station. 

I think the only safe fish to eat at Alamo is the trout 

• Like 1