bigsky2

Looking for Input on NM Coues Hunting

I recently hunted Arizona OTC archery coues and now I've got the bug in a bad way. I live in Montana and am wanting more opportunites to hunt coues with reasonable chance at success on a nice buck. I have been exploring the December hunts in New Mexico since they take place after our seasons close here in Montana. I was hoping someone who is familiar with coues hunting in New Mexico can give me some general info and tell me if these are quality hunts. Feel free to PM me.

The December hunts in NM are good hunts but I wouldn’t call them great hunts like the late December AZ hunts.  

They are the 2nd or 3rd Coues deer hunts depending on the unit so the deer have been hunted and pressured from 2 mule deer hunts.  They are early December and not close to the rut.  They are good because  of low number of licenses and the hunts are long.

I think they made a dec 7-15 hunt this year in NM.  For the most part the above is correct, not really a rut hunt and they’ve been pressured but atleast the weather is nice and it works out with you MT schedule.  

I knew the rut wouldn’t be going and I figured the Arizona hunts are better. I am applying in Arizona too. I was mainly wondering if the New Mexico units hold decent populations of Coues or if it’s tough to find them, and if there’s anything else I should know about these hunts before I apply. Are Coues spread out in these units or are they just in pockets? What is the terrain like? Are they fairly glassable or are they really thick?