Sign in to follow this  
Quienyo

Is a .243 enough for a cow hunt?

My 11 year old was drawn for a youth cow hunt this year. He has a .243 for deer and is having a hard time with the overall percussion of it. I'm sure with more range time, he'll get over it but he struggles with his .243.  My question is two fold; is the .243 enough gun to responsibly hunt a cow elk? If not, what would be an ideal round that doesn't kick like the .30 family?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

That’s what my kids use and we havnt had a problem - shot placement is key not caliber - broadside double lung - and 243 does a fine job . 

• Like 3

If he can place the shot with a good bullet at a reasonable range, yes.

100gr Nosler Partition or something like that is what I would be looking to shoot. 

I think 250-300 yards would be about my max comfortable range if he can hit consistently with the rifle. 

I killed a cow elk with 115gr from a 257 weatherby at 260 yards. Broadside double lung shot. I shot her a 2nd time quartering away because I didn't see the first round hit and she didn't react hard or run far. When I got up there I realized the first shot would have done it if I left he alone.

Make sure he always hearing protection. Double protection at the range if necessary (inners and muffs). I would highly suggest electronic muffs for the field.

Perfect set up,  perfect angle, perfect rest, great bullet, non-moving animal, reasonable range, then yes a 243 in the hands of a youth would work. 

My cousin in MT shoots his elk just about every year with a .243 M70 featherweight he got when he was 12. He’s now 39.

Bulls, cows, spikes...whatever. Shoots them in the lungs and they die. 

• Like 3

This is all good news and will help keep my better half happy, knowing that I'm not looking to buy another rifle.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quienyo said:

This is all good news and will help keep my better half happy, knowing that I'm not looking to buy another rifle.

Thanks for all the replies.

I think you should tell better half that a .243 is not enough and you need another rifle 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

My group of buddies/kids have shot so many elk with a .243 I'm not sure where the count would be at.     The key is getting them close and having a good shot where they are comfortable with shot and have time to execute.    Sitting in a blind or a very controlled stalk will be their best options. 

Close and controlled is the key words. What unit did he draw? If its the 6A hunt and can give you some ideas where they will walk pretty must past you everyday.