Sign in to follow this  
Elk_Dreemr

Hunt Party Rules

Have a question about hunt party rules.  I believe I was drawn for an elk hunt based on the fact that my card was charged $135 on Friday 01 Mar.  I listed only myself on the hunt party.  Obviously in the event I do kill one, I would have a terrible time trying to pack that out alone.  My plan is to bring a couple non-shooter buddies along to assist me in the field and share the experience.  Keep in mind they will be with me, but I will be the only one armed with a rifle and I will be the one pulling the trigger.  Is this legal? 

If you kill one at the bottom of a large canyon,  just bring a knife and fork and enjoy. Your buddies, once they find out where you killed it,  will "suddenly" remember they have other "obligations"  to tend to.  😁

I've packed out more than I've killed.  Part of the fun! 

• Like 3

I go on 9 hunts with others for every 1 that I hold the tag.  Perfectly legal, and a blast.  Extra pack mules/spotters are a lifesaver.

• Like 2

All legal. Remember if on state land everyone has have to have a hunting licence to trespass i believe. 

11 hours ago, Elk_Dreemr said:

Have a question about hunt party rules.  I believe I was drawn for an elk hunt based on the fact that my card was charged $135 on Friday 01 Mar.  I listed only myself on the hunt party.  Obviously in the event I do kill one, I would have a terrible time trying to pack that out alone.  My plan is to bring a couple non-shooter buddies along to assist me in the field and share the experience.  Keep in mind they will be with me, but I will be the only one armed with a rifle and I will be the one pulling the trigger.  Is this legal? 

Will this be your first elk hunt? You seem unfamiliar with the whole process, and I don't mean that disrespectfully.  Friends on an elk hunt are lifesavers. Any idea which hunt you got?

29 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Will this be your first elk hunt? You seem unfamiliar with the whole process, and I don't mean that disrespectfully.  Friends on an elk hunt are lifesavers. Any idea which hunt you got?

Non taken, and thank you for asking.  Yessir, it is my first elk hunt.  I spent my first 19 years growing up the piney woods of TX, then I lived in southern TN for over 20 more years, and have been a resident of AZ for the past couple years.  I've taken some really nice whitetails in my life but have never had the opportunity to hunt elk.  It's been a lifelong dream and it's so close I can taste it...but still have no idea what I got.  It's one of these 4 possibilities, in order of preference as listed on my entry.  1. Bull Elk, 09/27 - 10/03, Unit 10.  2. Bull Elk, 11/29 - 12/05, Unit 10.   3. Bull Elk, 11/29 - 12/05, Unit 9.  4. Antlerless Elk, 09/13 - 09/22, Units 2A and 2B.  The reason for 2A/2B is because that's where my ranch is.  It's truly my last resort entry.  I figure I could probably get an OTC tag and save my 2 points if it came to that, but I put in on there anyway because I liked the dates for a permit hunt and its right out my back door.  But if I drew a tag from one of those trophy units, I would be overjoyed. Trip of a lifetime!

You can scratch off your 3rd and 4th choice. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

9 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

You can scratch off your 3rd and 4th choice. 

Don't tease me like that!  Seriously I think I'd faint first then get seriously Rambo'ed up next :)

4 minutes ago, rossislider said:

Like AZ8 said, you definitely drew your first or second choice and had no chance at your 3rd or 4th. Odds suggest you drew your second choice.

I'll be looking for a guide if this works out that way. A really good one, like the kind you could get a trophy with in most cases, and more importantly, be friends with for life.