Sign in to follow this  
Elk_Dreemr

Hunt Party Rules

Actually, I spoke to soon. I still think odds are on your second choice, but your 4th choice may be a possibility. I would have to look at numbers for past years and I don't have them in front of me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AZ8 said:

If you kill one at the bottom of a large canyon,  just bring a knife and fork and enjoy. Your buddies, once they find out where you killed it,  will "suddenly" remember they have other "obligations"  to tend to.  😁

I've packed out more than I've killed.  Part of the fun! 

Elk sushi!  Sounds like my kinda fun :)

If 2 points threw him in the bonus pass for the cow hunt wouldn't he have no chance at the other hunts? I don't know the process completely but that is how I think I understand it.  For your sake I hope I don't know what I am talking about.  :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZbowhntr said:

If 2 points threw him in the bonus pass for the cow hunt wouldn't he have no chance at the other hunts? I don't know the process completely but that is how I think I understand it.  For your sake I hope I don't know what I am talking about.  :)

I would hope that my highest-preference choices would come first in any round....but again, I'm still new at all this.  I'm realistic about the odds but a Unit 9 or 10 hunt is far and away the way I'm hoping this will go.  Fingers crossed!!  BTW did you get a hit on the draw?

10 minutes ago, rossislider said:

Actually, I spoke to soon. I still think odds are on your second choice, but your 4th choice may be a possibility. I would have to look at numbers for past years and I don't have them in front of me.

Thanks, I agree it is possible the 4th was selected...I've been anxiously waiting to find out like all of us have I'm sure.  Did you get a hit on your card?

In order for you to have drawn your 4th choice, all those tags would have had to make it into the third pass of the draw. Highly unlikely. If I were you, I’d start gathering some cold weather gear. :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Elk_Dreemr said:

Non taken, and thank you for asking.  Yessir, it is my first elk hunt.  I spent my first 19 years growing up the piney woods of TX, then I lived in southern TN for over 20 more years, and have been a resident of AZ for the past couple years.  I've taken some really nice whitetails in my life but have never had the opportunity to hunt elk.  It's been a lifelong dream and it's so close I can taste it...but still have no idea what I got.  It's one of these 4 possibilities, in order of preference as listed on my entry.  1. Bull Elk, 09/27 - 10/03, Unit 10.  2. Bull Elk, 11/29 - 12/05, Unit 10.   3. Bull Elk, 11/29 - 12/05, Unit 9.  4. Antlerless Elk, 09/13 - 09/22, Units 2A and 2B.  The reason for 2A/2B is because that's where my ranch is.  It's truly my last resort entry.  I figure I could probably get an OTC tag and save my 2 points if it came to that, but I put in on there anyway because I liked the dates for a permit hunt and its right out my back door.  But if I drew a tag from one of those trophy units, I would be overjoyed. Trip of a lifetime!

Well if your happy just to hunt a new species in a new state you won't be disappointed. After all you drew a tag. I don't know draw odds for your hunts but based on the 2a and 2b threads you bumped to the top they seem less desirable and therefore you could have drawn it.  If you did.. here's the good news, you have home field advantage! Get a pair of 15s and a tripod and glass glass glass. Learn every part of the unit, find the north facing slopes and shady areas to identify bedding areas. Look up lots of threads on glassing etc. Find feed and water sources and stack the odds in your favor. Find shelter areas or push zones and you will be golden! Good luck dude!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

In order for you to have drawn your 4th choice, all those tags would have had to make it into the third pass of the draw. Highly unlikely. If I were you, I’d start gathering some cold weather gear. :)

Music to my ears man!  I haven't been able to sleep since Friday thinking about it.

• Like 2

You have a tag, that’s all that matters! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Well if your happy just to hunt a new species in a new state you won't be disappointed. After all you drew a tag. I don't know draw odds for your hunts but based on the 2a and 2b threads you bumped to the top they seem less desirable and therefore you could have drawn it.  If you did.. here's the good news, you have home field advantage! Get a pair of 15s and a tripod and glass glass glass. Learn every part of the unit, find the north facing slopes and shady areas to identify bedding areas. Look up lots of threads on glassing etc. Find feed and water sources and stack the odds in your favor. Find shelter areas or push zones and you will be golden! Good luck dude!

I'm happy no matter what man!  Thanks so much for the great tips and the good vibes.  It means so much to me.  And yes I agree, home field advantage counts and that's really why I put that on as 4th choice.  I've seen them intermittently but it's clear they are generally somewhere else, "out there, somewhere" lol.  Did you get drawn?

2 minutes ago, Elk_Dreemr said:

You got that right!  How many hunts have you been on?

Not enough! :)   My last tag was in 2017. Archery bull. 

Still looking for a recipe that includes paper tags.....lol

• Haha 1