RimCountry350

Rifle 13a/b or 12B Late - Which one and Why?

It doesn't look like I'm going on an Elk or Antelope hunt this year so switching my hopes to deer season!  I've been hunting Kiabab for almost 15 + years (mainly 12B West and 12A) and wanted to get some thoughts on rifle hunts for 13a/b vs. 12b late.  If you had your pick, which one would it be and why?   And yes I know 13a/b are the infamous "Strip" hunt 🙂 

13a/b rifle (50 & 80 tags last year) vs 12b late rifle (20 tags last year).  I have my own thoughts but wanted to get thoughts from others that might have hunted both units before.

13 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

They are not having hunts in those units this year.

Only if everyone else thought that...open up the odds a bit!

• Like 2

I drive semi  to So Cal  every day. I spend a lot of time listening to different guides podcast. Most say the Kaibab has the best genetics in the world. Yes s the Strip produces bigger bucks ,BUT not as many. And to get that 220 Buck you better spend your life up there or get one of the Bundy crowd  for 7 k.  And as good of boys as they are , I even herd where one was cheating. And it wasn't Brec. Thats all I will say. I am not a Rat , But when somoene goes against the Law and another Hunter I will say it. Good luck on Your Hunt. At 62 and 11 points I was happy with a late Kaibab tag . A 185 buck to me is better than cheating Or trail cams or baiting. I know the buck I shot was not on cam 4 months ago......Good luck all this year.  And You jellous Mormon guys who call me a drunk ,cause I post this time of night, Remember I just got back from Mexifornia . I drive truck till 2 or 3 in the AM. ..... I am allmost 63, I have a few here and there like every good old boy will , But I can tell  You every one cheats , all religions and all the so called good boys. . Even the Amish back East are not true anymore. They borrow alot of Modern equipment from there neighbors. You guys probably wonder where I am coming  from with this post, welll I i am Just a wild Guy and an Honest man Had a sucessfull Buss. for 25 years put 2 thru ASU. ( never considered U of A)  Amen. I guess My message is go Hunt and Harvest a nice Buck. Don't worry about Score. If anyone wants any Turkey help PM.  Me I am allways willing to Help. And don't worry I am not crazy ,just post My Opinion.....BOB!

• Like 1

AZ,  killer ,looks like You put a photo of yourself  with your fav. hat.  Looks like You would be ugly even with out it LOL..........BOB!

7 hours ago, shooterpar said:

The biggest question I think is how many points do you have RimCountry350?  

I'm not even close to the max, so I know it's a total crap shoot (FYI - I've got 10 BPs for deer).   I've just always been curious about the differences between the hunts and what others opinions are. 

My understanding is similar to what 6AYoteHunter said above...13A/B has big bucks (age and class) but the number of big deer is limited (basically, unless you live up there and know the areas and deer really well, it's super hard to get a 180" + toad down and your best bet is to hire a guide if that's what your after).  In 12B you have access to more deer but overall the class of deer are hit/miss and dependent upon the migration but you could definitely find 160" + bucks.  Toads can be pulled out but just not as predictable...again just what my thoughts have been.

• Like 1

For a late hunt, any of those would be just fine.  I would take any and be thrilled to death.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

For a late hunt, any of those would be just fine.  I would take any and be thrilled to death.

Oh heck, I would be so stoked with either one!!  Not saying I don't like one or the other, it was just more of a question I had.  13 has a reputation to everyone looking for a huge toad out West but 12B doesn't get talked about all that much, so again just curious is all...I know I'm just dreaming...I've got a snow-ball's chance in heck to draw one of those LOL!