RimCountry350

Rifle 13a/b or 12B Late - Which one and Why?

They are all good and have tons of potential.  All depends on what your happy with. Good luck in the draw!

There's really no comparison between 13 A/B and 12B........the Strip is a far better hunt, IMO. 

Does any body know what the max point is for 12b late...flipping a coin on what unit to put in for.....just think it s gonna a good year to have a tag!!

13-14 I think 

10 hours ago, RTAYLOR said:

Does any body know what the max point is for 12b late...flipping a coin on what unit to put in for.....just think it s gonna a good year to have a tag!!

Last year 14 woulda got you the tag.  I’d expect it to go up this year as a lot of people will have the same idea this year and a lot likely held off last year due to drought.  I’m gonna guess 16 or more will be required due to the small tag numbers on that hunt.  

• Like 2

I have hunted both, I shot a 177" in 13B last year, that being said I have had 5 other friends get 13B tags also and 4 out of the 5 shot 200+ inch bucks and the fifth was 192". The difficulty with 13B is all the guides and their cronies running around. there might only be 50 or 80 tags there but once you get all the other guides and helpers up there its more like a thousand people. That being said it can still be an awesome hunt.  These are the bucks from last year

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5227.JPG

• Like 3

I wouldn't rely on points, it is a random draw. For example last year my buddy and I drew 13B with 6 points, the year before that a friend and his buddy drew with 4 points and 2 years before that another buddy and his friend drew with 2 points. You can't totally rely on bonus points.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

47 minutes ago, jmcbowhunter said:

I wouldn't rely on points, it is a random draw. For example last year my buddy and I drew 13B with 6 points, the year before that a friend and his buddy drew with 4 points and 2 years before that another buddy and his friend drew with 2 points. You can't totally rely on bonus points.

You can if you have enough to get in the max point pool.  Then you are guaranteed the tag.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RTAYLOR said:

Ya....im sitting on 15 this year....was just woundering what that max is for 12b late

I would say you could draw a 12BW late tag.  I don’t know enough about the area to tell you whether it’s that critical to be able to hunt the whole unit or not.  

4 hours ago, RTAYLOR said:

Ya....im sitting on 15 this year....was just woundering what that max is for 12b late

You and I have the same number of points. No worries tho. You have one less guy competing against you for that 12B tag......its 13B or bust for me! :)

Sir I have been on both hunts every yr for the last 12 yrs. I can give you a great deal of information on both hunts that might help in your decision . Dave 602-228-1719