rossislider

Results are posted!!!

22 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Nothing heading to the eastern stud whitetail country, Iowa and the blue grass state Kentucky.

Arkansas for me

• Like 1

I broke down and put in for a late archery hunt. Im getting too old to wait 7-10 years between tags. So I drew the late tag in my home unit and the wife drew the early archery tag! Going to be some fun!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ThomC said:

I am going to get a leftover tag.😉

Do you honestly think there will be leftovers?  Maybe.   I dunno, so I am asking.  I am getting the impression that leftover tags for elk are a thing for the history books in Arizona.

On 3/8/2019 at 5:31 PM, SURBY said:

I got 6A bull tag on my second year putting in so I'm pretty happy. 

How crowded is this unit going to be with 700 other guys hunting it at the same time? 

Fourth of July! I’ll be there!

7E late rifle tag for me my son and a friend.  Second year hunting elk in a row.  Can't wait to be out there!!!

8 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Do you honestly think there will be leftovers?  Maybe.   I dunno, so I am asking.  I am getting the impression that leftover tags for elk are a thing for the history books in Arizona.

There are over the counter tags every year for real hunters.  Oh, you guys want those easy tags where Elk are everywhere.  :D

4 hours ago, ThomC said:

There are over the counter tags every year for real hunters.  Oh, you guys want those easy tags where Elk are everywhere.  :D

Huh?  That assumption is a bit misdirected in my regard.  I put in for the limited opportunity hunts and I drew one of them there lowly valued limited opportunity hunts (archery, cow tag during rut).  Not lots of elk, but not lots of other hunters.   So, I'm stoked. 

Aside from me getting a little defensive, I actually agree with you.  Lots of Arizona hunters want to have that opportunity to chase elk where huge trophy bulls are screaming everywhere.  Who blames them.  That's the dream. Some of these hunts in Arizona are truly amazing opportunities for average working folk who won't/can't ever pay the many thousands of dollars it takes for access to exclusive private land hunts.  This state offers some opportunities for hunts where elk densities are extreme and trophy quality is second to none on public land/access.   I do not know of another state that compares, but that is why it takes almost a lifetime to draw one of them there tags.    I'll make this comparison. Montana is the best state for meat hunters. Arizona is the best state for trophies.

For me, though, I am happy to except the challenge to go after them where they are few and far between as long as other hunter are just as scarce.

56 minutes ago, Scottiepippin said:

Archery September Bull rut hunt Unit 8 for me.😁

Saw a couple brawlers in the 330-340 range(broken everything) last year on the late rifle hunt. GM said there was a 370’ish bull taken on the Southern/canyon edge. Good luck and tell Jordan to start tipping for F’s sake. 

Unit 8 is looking very good this year.  Plenty of water and food.  The elk are looking fat and happy.  I just got done erasing thousands of pics of elk herds camping out at salt sites, but I won't be in 8 this year.  

The antelope in 8 and 19a/ 19b are looking healthier than they have for a couple years. 

The foothills in the northeast side of 19a ( Woodchute to the Verde) conditions are  just all right.  Not as well off as 8.  Tanks hold water, but not full.   Some areas in 19a foothills, the vegetation is still recovering from the drought last year.

On 3/8/2019 at 5:36 PM, rossislider said:

I have the 3A3C early rifle bull hunt, before the archery hunters. My son is one of said 3A3C archery bull hunters!

dang! You guys scored big! Congrats! 

• Like 1

I am a happy grandpa. My 14 yr old grandson drew the 18a early rifle bull and my 10 yr old grandson drew unit 10 youth cow tag. Two weeks of elk hunting with my grandkids. 

• Like 5

On 3/9/2019 at 4:51 PM, Bisbee said:

Me and five hundred & forty nine of my "closest friends" will be hunting bull elk in unit 7 west, next November 29 -December 

Got the same hunt will be my 1st time in that unit... Good luck