My wife has a hang up with recoil and noise. I have tried numerous things with  her centerfire but haven't had much luck getting by the severe flinching and jerking the trigger in anticipation  of the shot. She has drawn an elk muzzy tag and now I need to start her on a muzzleloader.

I was thinking of starting her on the lowest safe load of Pyrodex and working up to a heavier load over the next few months but haven't found much on the www about minimum safe load. Anyone have any suggestions? If I can't move her past this I think I need to talk to her about turning in the tag.

You could apply for a suppressor. I’ve never seen one on a muzzleloader before but I bet it’s possible.

I have never heard of a "minimum safe load" as far as black powder is concerned. For black powder a safe load is one that will get the ball out the barrel. As far as substitute powder for BP not sure if its the same?

Double up ear protection and put a muzzle brake on it. 

Also load the gun but play the game of not putting the primer on and dont let her look. It will help her not know when or when not to expect recoil.

Or a bow if that is aloud on the muzzle hunt.

2 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

I have never heard of a "minimum safe load" as far as black powder is concerned. For black powder a safe load is one that will get the ball out the barrel. As far as substitute powder for BP not sure if its the same?

I may have an old manual laying around I can look it up.  If not I’ll get one. 

She has target panic with the bow too. They’re both about the same.  She hasn’t always been like this either.  if I can’t get her past this I’m going to turn the tag in. The thing is  she enjoys the outdoors so much I hate to see her quit hunting.

F4749205-F7EB-4BE5-9E43-BC83EB941010.jpeg

Maybe a brake and doubling up on the hearing protection. A can might be a good idea but not sure if you get it in time for the hunt.  Member rancillio (avatar is a license plate with "silencer" on it) here is a dealer and a nice guy. I've got my can from him.

creed, if you and your wife want to see if shooting with silencer might help, let me know.  I am just south of Sierra Vista.  I will probably be up in Tucson sometime this week.

When my GF started shooting with me she would jump at loud reports from shooters on the next bench. When going with me tp PRS matches she also would startle at rifles discharging nearby. For the last 12MO she has been shooting 22NRL and 22 Silhouette. It  has been a great way to get her a foundation of comfort around shooting and guns going bang. 

I have helped a few people with the same issues. I like to start them off just shooting primers and then move up to shooting 25gr of powder with an empty sabot. Eventually I will have them shoot 50gr and a real bullet. I dial in the gun for the hunt and never have them shoot a full charge until the hunt. 

• Like 1

I’ve run into similar issues with my daughters shooting centerfire rifles. I’ve found 3 things that were game changers for them -

1 - double up on hearing protection. I know this isn’t recoil but it does add to the PERCEIVED recoil. Don’t ask me why but changing this has been huge. 

2 - got a limb saver slip on pad and put it over the pad already on the stock. It cushions the recoil a lot and that’s what has allows my kids to start (and enjoy) hunting. Totally worth the cost I never would have guessed it would help that much. 

3 - if you handload, you can do severely reduced loads with h4895 for a centerfire rifle. Loading the lightest bullet I can find with a reduced load has been a dream. They’ll shoot non stop for hours without fear of recoil. I know it’s not black powder but you could use that to work up to it, or use the same thought process with BP. Lightest projectile you can find with a light target load. 

Also the last time we went shooting before my daughters elk tag last year she shot and freaked out because it recoiled. A quick and calm discussion about how yes the rifle will recoil, but if you pay attention it doesn’t actually hurt. If you expect it to move you and let it sway you back that helped her a lot. 

Good luck. That would be a shame of a tag to give back, but maybe she could draw rifle later and find something lighter to shoot. 

Have here try CBD oil for the anxiety, she can use a cross bow..

2 hours ago, rancilio said:

creed, if you and your wife want to see if shooting with silencer might help, let me know.  I am just south of Sierra Vista.  I will probably be up in Tucson sometime this week.

Be careful talking with Matt.... it will cost you!