Sign in to follow this  
Savage06

Bull Elk 22 South

I am new to Elk hunting.  I just drew for unit 22 south for 11/29-12/05 for bull elk and am trying to find out as much as I can about the unit.  I thought I would try and enter the unit from 34°17'29.83"N 110°51'41.55"W at least as a start.

Should be a fun hunt.  I put my son in for this hunt but he did not get drawn.  Nice to be a little lower if the snow is heavy.  

35 minutes ago, bigj23 said:

Should be a fun hunt.  I put my son in for this hunt but he did not get drawn.  Nice to be a little lower if the snow is heavy.  

Had this hunt last year and it was a muddy mess from the storm that came through but a really fun hunt.  Savage06 you should see lots of bulls just finding a descent one could be tough.  

Unless I’m entering it wrong, you might want to check your coordinates. That starting point will get into unit 23. You said your tag is for 22 south.  That’s a looooong detour into 22 south. You need to head west.

I believe that's right on the border of 22S and 23.  and just south of 22N

2 hours ago, AZ8 said:

Unless I’m entering it wrong, you might want to check your coordinates. That starting point will get into unit 23. You said your tag is for 22 south.  That’s a looooong detour into 22 south. You need to head west.

This..

21 minutes ago, Savage06 said:

I believe that's right on the border of 22S and 23.  and just south of 22N

This is what I’m getting. Blue waypoint. 

A8331E47-4E72-492A-808F-4A2C1ADA9A40.png

I am trying to get a google earth unit map.  so I need to go in around here?

34°15'52.47"N 111°11'40.01"W

Thanks for the heads up.  I do appreciate it.

• Like 2

There you go! 

6 hours ago, Goldfinger78 said:

I’d be interested in any pointers for this hunt too. My wife drew it and I’m heck bent on helping get her first animal. I spend a fair amount of time in 22, but mainly chasing deer with my bow. I run in to elk here and there, but have never purposely targeted them. I’m planning on scouting the base of the Matazals and the Little Green Valley area. Wondering if there’s any where else I should commit time to scouting for a hunt that time of year. Feel free to PM any recommendations!

Sorry, don’t know how that ended up in a quote. Forgot to mention- Savage06, happy to share any info I come across or details of my scouting trips!

Savage 06 and mattnduke, go down a few threads and read the first elk hunt gear and tips thread. Lots of great tips. Then look up old threads on glassing, Get a tripod and a pair of 15s and learn how to glass. I dont know 22 from experience other then driving through and pictures from other hunters here.  But i can tell you it is a glassable unit which definately puts the odds in your favor.  Mattnduke you live less then an hour from the unit go there and learn it, you guys that live close have little excuse to not get out beforehand and check things out. 22 south is not known to be a trophy unit so adjust your expectations accordingly, for your wife let her shoot the first legal bull unless you guys get lucky and glass something up or have something good come to water. All the info is already here, you just need to apply it in the field. Good luck guys.

• Like 3

Either area you mentioned are good spots just learn glassing spots that cover good oak scrub hill sides and is somewhat remote. The bulls will be out feeding. Matter of fact go now and glass for the bulls, they will be in the most part where they are now for the late hunt.  

• Like 2