Sign in to follow this  
Savage06

Bull Elk 22 South

14 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

The good news is your trophy quality will go way up if you hunt in 23.

And the even better news is, the power lines run through 22S too! I see a 400" bull headed your way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jim said:

Either area you mentioned are good spots just learn glassing spots that cover good oak scrub hill sides and is somewhat remote. The bulls will be out feeding. Matter of fact go now and glass for the bulls, they will be in the most part where they are now for the late hunt.  

Thanks Jim, much appreciated. I was thinking along the same lines. If I found em now, they'll be there in December when they're done chasing tail :-).

• Like 1

Just now, JBenz63 said:

Yeah I have the late archery hunt in there. I would definitely be willing to pass along info. If interested 

That makes two of us

Really? The open power line path is a good thing?

19 minutes ago, Savage06 said:

Really? The open power line path is a good thing?

There’s a loooongggg story behind that.  That being said, power lines can certainly have good feed and should not be overlooked.  

FYI, the power lines are good, but in this case it was a joke:)  

FYI, really funny joke for those who know!!!

• Like 4

So,  I have been told that I am extremely ill prepared for this hunt. More or less.  I have been told that I need a quad ATV or I will be eating the elk just to survive the haul back to the truck.  I had a buddy that said it took him 8 hours to drag an elk back to his truck  with an ATV and I had better have a wench in my flat bed trailer.  As it would turn out I do not have either.  My plan was to cut apart and take it 200 -300 yards at a time.

1 minute ago, Big Browns said:

FYI, the power lines are good, but in this case it was a joke:)  

FYI, really funny joke for those who know!!!

well it would be nice to know!

Just now, Savage06 said:

So,  I have been told that I am extremely ill prepared for this hunt. More or less.  I have been told that I need a quad ATV or I will be eating the elk just to survive the haul back to the truck.  I had a buddy that said it took him 8 hours to drag an elk back to his truck  with an ATV and I had better have a wench in my flat bed trailer.  As it would turn out I do not have either.  My plan was to cut apart and take it 200 -300 yards at a time.

Google and learn the gutless method, boned out quarters and get a good pack frame.  Anyone who spent 8 hours dragging an elk is not someone you should take hunting advice from.  If you have the November hunt it will be cool enough to hang the quarters and you’ll have time to get them out.  If not, be careful you don’t shoot one too far in or have lots of friends.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Savage06 said:

Cleaning an elk can be overwhelming if you haven't done it ESPECIALLY a bull! If you do go gutless make sure to watch some gutless method fail videos first so you know what not to do.  I have blown it a couple times doing gutless and it is not fun. I'm going to start with the front quarter for now on and then probably at least open the belly cavity to release the pressure of the guts before I start taking off the hind quarters. Yes it kind of defeats the purpose of doing gutless to some degree but it's insurance to not taint the meat.  Nothing's worse then a full freezer of meat that no one wants to eat.

Here's what you should do. Offer to help on some archery hunts as a glasser and pack out guy.  Preferably in your unit, offer to help on the early archery, youth hunts or whatever. Experience in the field is priceless. It will be a good way for you to tweak your gear needs as well.  I have 2 kids with youth tags in unit 23. Your welcome to hang out and get some first hand experience.  Last time we killed second morning. 

What's your gear situation and budget to work with for the gear you still need?

• Like 3

Quarter it and hang it. Then start packing it.

Gutless works well, just learn it before you apply it in the field. Get some good game bags a good knife, and a pack with frame. 

I have black ovis elk bags, that worked great on my deer last year. My benchmade skinner went through 2 deer without needing sharpened. 

1 deer we got near a road, the other I had to pack out. I have a badlands pack that has internal frame, and it made it much nicer to pack out the pieces. 

You will not get an elk in a truck whole without a winch or come along or some other mechanical advantage. 

The advice about releasing pressure on the gutless method is right on. I started to gut my deer traditionally last year, then made the audible to switch to gutless. It worked great. 

We did straight gutless on my buddies and as you tried to take off the hind quarters intestines and stuff started to try and pop through any weak area. We got it done without popping the guts, but mine was much easier on a larger animal. 

An elk is a huge creature. Be prepared. Find a friend to help if at all humanly possible. 

8 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

black ovis elk bags

benchmade skinner

badlands pack

Unless you killed it in Crispis and Kuiu it doesn't count.