Sign in to follow this  
Savage06

Bull Elk 22 South

The bad news is you drew a tag in a unit that can be pretty darn rough. The awesome news is you drew a freaking elk tag! Follow the advice given above and you will be on your way to a fun hunt. And besides, the more scars, sweat, dented vehicles and work involved all make for a better story to tell in the years ahead when you don't draw a tag.

As for the joke..... Well, sorry, we can't give away all of our secrets.. And besides, the punchline has yet to be told.

• Like 1

No kuiu or high rent camo, so it doesn't count.

I have been working hard to get better gear, and it has paid off. When we had to skin up my cow elk a few years ago it took every low end knife i had to get it skinned. That was frustrating, especially since we had a whole other elk to skin after mine. Sharpening knives to try and skin elk at 10pm at night when it is 20* plus wind sucked. 

Better gear helps mitigate the suck. I have found that out the hard way on multiple occasions. 

7 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

No kuiu or high rent camo, so it doesn't count.

I have been working hard to get better gear, and it has paid off. When we had to skin up my cow elk a few years ago it took every low end knife to get it skinned. That was frustrating, especially since we had a whole other elk to skin after mine. Sharpening knives to try and skin elk at 10pm at night when it is 20* plus wind sucked. 

Better gear helps mitigate the suck. I have found that out the hard way on multiple occasions. 

High end gear is a relative term. Anything you own now is an up grade from the sharp stick and broken rock your ancestors used.

16 hours ago, AzPlumber said:

That makes two of us

Make it three.  It’s an easy tag to get, yet a tough hunt.  

Ill take it, rather than a season on the couch.

• Like 1

Thanks for the gutless quarter tip.  I'll be watching youtube for the next few months

Saw a video last night on gutless quartering. seems easy enough.  I know seems does not mean is.  I will be watching more videos and reading a little more about it. I'll need to get another knife, not that I need another but a good american made one would be nice. 

I saw on weatherunderground that the overnight temp in Payson during the hunt dates last year was between 1° and 8°.  I guess that means that camping is out of the question.  I'll need to look into hotels or possibly renting a cabin for a week.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:48 PM, brademan76 said:

Unless you killed it in Crispis and Kuiu it doesn't count.

And with a 6.5 creedmore...

• Like 5

Got them all, doesn't help, 22s archery is a shitty hunt, prove me wrong.. 

Great tag can be really tough if not prepared be in shape have good glass on a tripod practice shooting at least six seven eight hundred yards get some good pack frames and take some buddy's to help pack out. We have killed quiet a few bulls in 22s and not 1 was an easy pack out the longest pack out taking 36hrs and the shortest taking about 6 hrs . Have fun be safe and post pictures 

• Like 3

Also one more thing you will see a lot of broke Bulls on that late hunt take that into consideration

3 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Ya real tough, go into hells gate.

Wildwoody, that’s not nice. :)

Savage06, as this will be your first elk hunt and it sounds like you may be solo.......do not go there. 

11 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

Wildwoody, that’s not nice. :)

Savage06, as this will be your first elk hunt and it sounds like you may be solo.......do not go there. 

Just telling the truth, hunted that part of the unit many times. But I can help with some spots, ,  hunt between the high ways, lots of elk in there now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Ya real tough, go into hells gate.

Seen some big bulls down in there. Does it go into 22 and/ or 22S as well? I've only been in it while in 23. And yes, it's appropriately named and suggest the OP stay out unless going with several well equipped and experienced hunters.

• Like 1