Sign in to follow this  
Savage06

Bull Elk 22 South

Oh ya its in 22s, we access from the pocket or the top of green valley hills.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Just telling the truth, hunted that part of the unit many times. But I can help with some spots, ,  hunt between the high ways, lots of elk in there know.

I’ve been in there too....nasty place. Big deer too!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZ8 said:

I’ve been in there too....nasty place. Big deer too!  

Some giants for sure..

On 3/11/2019 at 7:52 PM, yotebuster said:

Google and learn the gutless method, boned out quarters and get a good pack frame.  Anyone who spent 8 hours dragging an elk is not someone you should take hunting advice from.  If you have the November hunt it will be cool enough to hang the quarters and you’ll have time to get them out.  If not, be careful you don’t shoot one too far in or have lots of friends.  

Excellent advice!

I one saw 2 guys dragging a cow behind their quad on FS 29. They had no even gutted it. Complete butt hats and disrespect for the animal

• Like 1

I grew up in ND and these guys are some deer/elk draggin sob’s!!!  I’ve heard so many stories about guys dragging deer out for literally miles, just to load em in the pickup and then take em home and quarter them.  I just don’t get it.  Don’t get me wrong, when I shoot a deer on private land and can get him out whole and skin and quarter in the comfort of my heated shop hanging from the tractor loaded I certainly do as I can do a better job, but a hot weather elk hunt where you end up having to quarter it anyway to hang it, it just doesn’t make sense!!

Your not dragging a bull elk out whole, you might be able to back up to it and load it , if your in a unit where you can still leave the road to retrieve it. If it dies in the rd you got other problems.  It takes a strong person to carry out a hind quarter by it self. He'll its hard to roll a bill elk over.

• Like 2

My dad shot a decent 6 x 6 in 2017 about 2 miles from camp at 9am. We were able to get his ranger to within a half mile from it.

It took 5 trips for the 2 of us to get the quarters, loose meat & head to the ranger. We got back to camp & cleaned it up & hung

it was around 8pm. It’s a lot of work, but was worth every minute. By the way my dad was 76 in 2017. Get yourself in shape, elk

are big animals!!!! As far as cold weather, get a Kodiak tent with a buddy heater & a good sleeping system & campout!! Motels & 

elk hunting just don’t give you the awesome experience IMO!! Good luck, have & BE SAFE!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goinhuntn said:

My dad shot a decent 6 x 6 in 2017 about 2 miles from camp at 9am. We were able to get his ranger to within a half mile from it.

It took 5 trips for the 2 of us to get the quarters, loose meat & head to the ranger. We got back to camp & cleaned it up & hung

it was around 8pm. It’s a lot of work, but was worth every minute. By the way my dad was 76 in 2017. Get yourself in shape, elk

are big animals!!!! As far as cold weather, get a Kodiak tent with a buddy heater & a good sleeping system & campout!! Motels & 

elk hunting just don’t give you the awesome experience IMO!! Good luck, have & BE SAFE!!

Your pops is a bad a$$

• Like 2

On 3/11/2019 at 10:07 PM, Hoss50 said:

No kuiu or high rent camo, so it doesn't count.

I have been working hard to get better gear, and it has paid off. When we had to skin up my cow elk a few years ago it took every low end knife i had to get it skinned. That was frustrating, especially since we had a whole other elk to skin after mine. Sharpening knives to try and skin elk at 10pm at night when it is 20* plus wind sucked. 

Better gear helps mitigate the suck. I have found that out the hard way on multiple occasions. 

The havalon I bought is just fantastic..

I have NEVER had an elk within drivable range with a SXS or quad personally.  Mine have ALWAYS been pack out elk.  Multiple trips of pure heck on your shoulders/back/legs.  It makes the plating after grilling so much sweeter.

20171008_083639_zpsno5npdmx.jpg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Your pops is a bad a$$

He had a major heart attacking in 2015, also hip & knee replacement prior to 2015.

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

I have NEVER had an elk within drivable range with a SXS or quad personally.  Mine have ALWAYS been pack out elk.  Multiple trips of pure heck on your shoulders/back/legs.  It makes the plating after grilling so much sweeter.

You nailed that steak!!!  Man that made my mouth water!!!   I’ve taken out a majority of mine on my back.  A the rest with side by sides, pickups, horses, even a boat!  I’m not gonna let a packout scare me away from chasing a bull but man it sure is nice to see this sight!!!E938D4D0-3413-4E3D-A059-2B925F13D5C8.thumb.png.f323c97c067d75f347257712b29df675.png

My dad makes a good counterbalance for the steep slopes!!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

That's a fine morsel, did you eat the rest on the mountian😏

Wow that looks taste, I just had a tender loin and king crab legs so thank God I'm full or I'd be pouching me some of that. Lol  cool pics of the hunt