Sign in to follow this  
Savage06

Bull Elk 22 South

I saw that there are a few BNBs that back up directly on the unit.  I was going to do some glassing and see in I could get one of those.  I do not think a tent is going to be an option for this hunt.  Last year the temp ranged from 30 ° as a high to 1° for a low.

23 minutes ago, Savage06 said:

I saw that there are a few BNBs that back up directly on the unit.  I was going to do some glassing and see in I could get one of those.  I do not think a tent is going to be an option for this hunt.  Last year the temp ranged from 30 ° as a high to 1° for a low.

Have you already determined an area that you're going to focus your hunt? If not then you're going about this backward.

I backcountry tent camp that area (lightweight as possible) during OTC archery deer hunt and survive and sleep just fine. Maybe something like that could be a "plan B" if the forecast calls for something ugly during your hunt... my $0.02

Thanks,.  I have to look at the buget

Also, There are quite a few places to stay.  I do have an idea of where I am going to start scouting now. I have a friend that is from the area and he did not draw a tag this year.  He will definitely have my ear because he lives in the area.

Having packed out several elk and as many big mulies you get the hang after couple times. I started with a basic frame  much like ALPS Outdoorz Commander Backpack Frame. Decided to get a more robust system with nicer shoulder pads and hip belt. Found the most comfortable external frame backpack and ditched the pack bag. This upgrade made it easier to take a hindquarter and front quarter out in one load (had 2 hours of decent trail back to truck). A cargo platform was not essential, would just lay elk bag on frame put a quarter on it fold cloth over it and lash it down to frame nice and snug. Shoulders fit crossways to frame and hindquarters but down with a couple lashings to support. Good luck makes for quite an adventure.