Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Too Hot

Doing some load development over the weekend and had a little too hot of a load. Scared the $h!t out me. Lots of smoke hanging around for a while. I needed a mallet to get the bolt open. After cleaning everything the rifle looks fine. I made a dummy round to check chambering and cycling and everything looks ok. Is there anything else I should look for, or just eliminate that load and try again?

KIMG1592.jpeg

KIMG1593.jpeg

If you don't mind could you list your load? A side note when you blow a primer like that, make sure the primer falls out somewhere. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen and the primer ended up in the lug access area, and when he closed his bolt to put the gun away, had to have a gunsmith open the bolt.

6.5 creedmoor Hornady case, Hornady 143gn eldx with 44 grains of v100. 

43.5 grains showed no pressure signs averaging 2850fps. 

The primer fell out when I got the bolt open. 

KIMG1618.JPG

The 43.5 load will be up there too in pressure. 

The 2850 should have been a clue as well. The Creed is great but it's not a 6.5x284....

• Like 4

In addition to the 2 comments above, and after making sure you're not jammed into the lands, consider 2850fps with the 143gr eldx in a 6.5 Creedmor is FAST. .

Not to say others don't get great velocities out of their given loads, and I'm only shooting a 20" barrel, but I have worked with a few of the faster powders (RL17,RL19,Superformance, H4350) and I have had trouble getting 2750fps.

Even 24" barrels in the load data aren't putting out very many velocities over 2800. 

But.  But.  But.  Hornady says on Instagram/Facebook/twitter/every shooting magazine/and everywhere else they can squeeze it in that the creedmoor is the best cartridge in the entire world?!?!  I don’t see how it is possible that any other cartridge (.260, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Swede, .264 win mag) can do 2850 but the creedmoor can’t!!  

26 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

The 43.5 load will be up there too in pressure. 

The 2850 should have been a clue as well. The Creed is great but it's not a 6.5x284....

41.3 is the max load for that powder. It's your gun you can load it however you want, but you might want to pull the bolt and look at the lugs on it and realize that those are the only things stopping that bolt from coming back into your face if that gun blows up.

3059.jpeg

• Like 1

That's not a HOT load. That's a STUPID load. Going to kill yourself, or someone else doing sh!t like that. Always start low and work up. Consider yourself lucky. That could have been really really bad. 

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

Ahhhhh.  The good ol creedmoor!!!!  

25 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

But.  But.  But.  Hornady says on Instagram/Facebook/twitter/every shooting magazine/and everywhere else they can squeeze it in that the creedmoor is the best cartridge in the entire world?!?!  I don’t see how it is possible that any other cartridge (.260, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Swede, .264 win mag) can do 2850 but the creedmoor can’t!!  

Wow. That's a sad amount of hate for a centerfire rifle cartridge. I'm sure the OP appreciates your stellar feedback as he and many others learn from the posts on this forum.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

Wow. That's a sad amount of hate for a centerfire rifle cartridge. I'm sure the OP appreciates your stellar feedback as he and many others learn from the posts on this forum.

Hate doesn’t even describe how I feel about the creedmoor.  Their marketing tactics get people into this bind.  Build a low capacity cartridge and crank it up to max PSI out of the gate.   Take any of the aforementioned cartridges and you can get away loading them “hotter”.  Take a creedmoor and do the same and it starts to blow up.  I see posts on forums daily about this caliber and guys loading it for long range elk hunting.   Yes it’s accurate, but it’s not a long range hunting caliber and certainly can’t be turned into one by loading it hot.  The guy was looking for feed back, I’d say he loaded it way to hot trying to make it into a .264 win mag. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ctafoya said:

Doing some load development over the weekend and had a little too hot of a load. Scared the $h!t out me. Lots of smoke hanging around for a while. I needed a mallet to get the bolt open. After cleaning everything the rifle looks fine. I made a dummy round to check chambering and cycling and everything looks ok. Is there anything else I should look for, or just eliminate that load and try again?

KIMG1592.jpeg

KIMG1593.jpeg

Not too bad.  At least your ejector plunger popped back out.  You were probably pushing at least 65k psi.  One time I had a hot load seat the plunger so hard I had to soak it in break-free, then have a gunsmith friend put a jet of compressed air in the side port or firing pin hole while he jiggled the plunger with a centerpunch.  Nothing was damaged, but it was scary as heck.  Very careless.  And dangerous.  Never found the primer by the way. 

New guns usually are proof tested with a "blue pill" load at significantly higher pressure, before they are sent to final check and shipping.  Just consider this to be a second blue pill.  And don't do any more.

forepaw

Thanks for the info guys. I worked up to this load, as mentioned before I did not have pressure signs prior to this load. I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm a few thousands off the lands. 

I agree starting out this high would be stupid at best. 

This isn't being built for long range big game. I'm aware of the rounds limitations. This is for my wife to hunt javi's and not have to lug around her 7mm.