Sign in to follow this  
CoryHuntsCoues

KUIU Ultra vs Icon Pro packs

Does anyone in AZ have experience with KUIU Ultra packs? Are they durable enough for the rocky, prickly, scratchy Arizona terrain? I like the weight savings on the Ultra 5500 vs the Icon Pro 5200, I am just unsure about the durability difference (500D Cordura on the Icon Pro vs 330D Cordura on the Ultra). What have you experienced? I know the Icon Pros are good, but would love to shed a couple of more pounds if possible (and a few dollars as well). Thanks for the feedback!

If you hunt a lot, you’ll go through ultra bags pretty quickly. The weight saving is not worth the durability sacrifice IMO

6 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

If you hunt a lot, you’ll go through ultra bags pretty quickly. The weight saving is not worth the durability sacrifice IMO

I get out into the desert at least once a month and sometimes get caught by catclaw and such. Sounds like I might run into issues if that's the case? Thanks.

13 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

I would recommend a used icon frame and a new ultra bag. Best of both worlds. Both are durable and plenty tough for AZ conditions.

I was thinking about doing that. Just worried about the durability. Have you used the Ultra a lot in AZ?

I can only speak for the Icon Pro (3200). I have several miles and some heavy packouts in nasty brush country with no issues. I went with the heavier material of the Icon Pro for the durability.

I own both the Icon Pro 3600 and 5200 and the Ultra 1800. The Ultra 1800 is my archery pack. I have hauled my elk in that pack (many trips). I have dragged it thru the gnarliest cat claw and similar vegetation hunting Coues deer. Not a mark can be found. My decision was what could I fit into it. I did not worry about durability and still don't.

8 hours ago, AzRincon said:

I own both the Icon Pro 3600 and 5200 and the Ultra 1800. The Ultra 1800 is my archery pack. I have hauled my elk in that pack (many trips). I have dragged it thru the gnarliest cat claw and similar vegetation hunting Coues deer. Not a mark can be found. My decision was what could I fit into it. I did not worry about durability and still don't.

Very helpful. Thanks!

19 hours ago, Viper said:

I can only speak for the Icon Pro (3200). I have several miles and some heavy packouts in nasty brush country with no issues. I went with the heavier material of the Icon Pro for the durability.

Great to hear. Thank you!

I have the pro in 1800 and 5200.   I have the ultra in the 7000.   I don't think you issue will be durability.   I haven't put the 7000 to the test yet but it seems plenty tough with just screwing with it at the house.    I think the biggest issue is going to be storage/pockets.    The ultra has a lot less pockets/storage.    If you are OK with that then I think you will be fine.   I was worried about the same thing until I got my hands on the Ultra.   Get the Ultra and save the weight if you want to save weight.  

FYI I live in Gilbert if you want to put your hands on my Ultra pack.    I know what it is like to buy gear and not be able to touch it ahead of time.   I've sent plenty of gear back to Kuiu for a variety of reasons (fit, function). 

1 hour ago, recurveman said:

I have the pro in 1800 and 5200.   I have the ultra in the 7000.   I don't think you issue will be durability.   I haven't put the 7000 to the test yet but it seems plenty tough with just screwing with it at the house.    I think the biggest issue is going to be storage/pockets.    The ultra has a lot less pockets/storage.    If you are OK with that then I think you will be fine.   I was worried about the same thing until I got my hands on the Ultra.   Get the Ultra and save the weight if you want to save weight.  

FYI I live in Gilbert if you want to put your hands on my Ultra pack.    I know what it is like to buy gear and not be able to touch it ahead of time.   I've sent plenty of gear back to Kuiu for a variety of reasons (fit, function). 

Awesome! Thanks! I may take you up on that offer one of these days.

any body want to do a review on the icon packs? im looking into them and just want all the opinions I can gather. pros and cons if you could. thanks 

So, I've used the Ultra 7000 enough where I can give an opinion about the pack.   Overall I really like the pack.   My biggest issue was going to be the pockets/storage of the pack.   I got around that by putting "kits" of items in zippered dry bags.  It basically compartmentalizes all of my gear so it is really easy to take it in and out.  I've gotten used to not having a big horseshoe zipper and I actually kind of like it now that I've had time to work with it.   The durability doesn't seem like it is going to be an issue at all.   The material does seem a little thinner but doesn't seem like it will be a ton less durable and the weight difference will be enough where I'm going to be happy with the ULTRA instead of the PRO with the 7000 size pack.   The lid is only one compartment instead of two but that isn't a deal breaker for me.    I guess all that is left to do now is load it up with gear and go on a hunting trip.    I've spent a few nights out with it so far and I can see I'm going to like this pack over the size of the 5200 if you are going to be out for more than a few days.   

Getting the pack adjusted properly was probably the biggest challenge.    I think the key to getting the pack adjusted properly is to put a chunk of weight into the pack.    I think 50# or so works about the best.   It will put everything in place once the weight is added.   15-20# just won't get you there.   Now that the pack is adjusted it rides like a dream.   

I just bought the ultra 7000 about a month ago. I did put it on the icon frame and suspension though. Should be the best of both worlds I hope. 

I haven’t hiked at all with it yet but feels great around the house and love how light it is. 

I don’t see the lack of pockets being an issue at all. My other pack is the outdoorsmans optic hunter and it doesn’t really have a ton of pockets either so not a big deal to me.  

I also agree that durability should not be an issue.  I like how you can easily swap another bag onto the frame and suspension. The bags don’t cost a whole bunch so I’ll probably pick up a smaller bag in the 3000 cu in range for shorter trips.