Sign in to follow this  
AzDiamondHeat

I want a 280ai

I would start with a good stock. In mid 2007 maybe 2008  my only daughter passed suddenly of heart failure just weeks before her 19th birthday. Put me in a deep funk I wish on no one. I wanted a lightweight rifle and looked at a Kimber. 

The stock didn't fit me well and ended up with  a T3 but not after I did some late night research and even then the accuracy was very, very hit and miss, pun intended. I really liked the looks of the Kimber and could have got it well below dealer cost but passed.

I love the look of those kimbers, but they are so hit or miss. People have had issues with them for years now. I’m glad I opted for a Christensen, because I love it. 

19 hours ago, STOMP442 said:

Might also try some fore end pressure. Those little lightweight barrels can get whippy. 

going to try this if bedding the stock doesn't work

On 4/30/2019 at 9:27 AM, lancetkenyon said:

You shot 200 rounds in 5 days of range time?  That is 40 rounds/day.  While not extreme, still a lot.  I have heard of mixed issues with the Kimber Mtn. Ascent.  But not 4MOA...in two different rifles.  I would recheck your mounts/scopes.  Just weird you are seeing it in both.

To me, an ultralight rifle is much harder to shoot well than even an 8lb all in rifle.  Not that it can't be done, but you better have darn near perfect form, consistency, and recoil management,  Personally, I would not own a 6# all in rifle unless shots would be under 300-400 max.  My personal "light mountain rifle" still weighs 8.5lbs.  A custom .280AI.  I have shot it very well out to 1250+, and shot out to 1500+ just to check.  

I don't think 40 rounds a day is that much.   We have a place to shoot out to 1 mile right by where we reload.   We would get out there early and shoot 20-25 rounds and then go reload something different.    Then go back out after lunch and shoot some more.   I've got 5 days of that (and a tan) with crappy results.   I'm really only looking to shoot this rifle out to 4-500 yards max.   I've got the talley rings (with blue locktight) and a swaro scope.   Mounted and leveled the scope myself.   both are tight and I love the swaro scope!!!!!!!   

Thought I had the gun close with 2 different loads.   Then I loaded up 15-20 of each to verify that it was repeatable.   One group of 3 would shoot 1.5 MOA and the next group would be 3MOA.   Then the next group would be back to 1.5 MOA.   There was no consistency  

Not sure it if would help or not , maybe someone else can chime in too on the limbsaver barrel dampener. It  might help with the barrel harmonics. Some people  claim they work wonders. If not you can return it.... but possibly a cheap slip on solution.

Late follow up.  I did end up going with a kimber sub alpine in the 280ai.  Topped it with a meopta and Talley light weight rings.  All in right about 6.5 lbs.  

Had to wait awhile before I could shoot it due to life getting in the way. Went out this morning to put some break in rounds through it before starting  my load workup.  20 rounds of factory nosler 140s. 3 shoot clean and repeat.  Was pleasantly  surprised at the initial accuracy. 

Last group of the day was 5 shots to finish out the 20.  This was not the norm for the first 5 "groups", but sure makes me grin about the possibilities.  

20190522_131443.thumb.jpg.5841aea678e188239b9b60afb67e2649.jpg

• Like 6

I just installed rings, lapped, and mounted a scope on a friends new Barrett Fieldcraft. As the owners of several Forbes 24b's I have to say the Fieldcraft is a huge step above. I even sent a Forbes 24B to Melvin and had him re-barrel and paint the stock....the Barrett is still much nicer. Better Stock (I much prefer it to the Kimber), better finish, better bolt, etc....

Personally I'd take a hard look at the Barrett or the Bergarra Mountain. Having said that my friends Kimber ascent groups around 1/2 MOA. 

bought a tikka superlite in .308   Put the Swaro scope on it and the gun drives tacks with the same loads I was shooting out of my Kimber.   Stepped back to 600 yards the other day and it was shooting well under MOA.   It held a great water line with a really stiff load in the chamber.   Basically I'm pushing 30-06 velocity with the 308 platform.   The recoil is very different too.   Much less and more controlled.     

Side benefit of the Tikka.......I can get the longer magazine and change out the a longer bolt stop so that I can long load (hit the lands) the .308 instead of having to deal with mag length ammo.   Don't know if I will go down that road but I do have the option.

Down side is the gun weighs about a pound more than the Kimber.   To me the extra weight is probably going to be worth it.   The balance, feel, and recoil is so different that I think I am willing to add a pound to shoot this gun.   

I would have loved to put my hands on the field craft.    If a gun shop would have had one in town to look at then that gun would have been my next in line to purchase.   I just wanted to look at one before I bought it.        

Going out this weekend again to verify load and shoot some distance.   The barrel is about calmed down and starting to maintain velocity.    Normally takes 50ish rounds to get a barrel to break in and then it will maintain a constant velocity.   I'm probably 30-50 fps faster now than with my first 5 shots.   Almost to the point where I can take the gun hunting.......almost.  

Check to see if the mag box is binding when the action screws are tight... it should have some wiggle room between the reciever and bottom of stock well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mike S said:

Check to see if the mag box is binding when the action screws are tight... it should have some wiggle room between the reciever and bottom of stock well.

Oh I went through everything twice.   We actually went to the point of bedding the gun and taking the box out just to eliminate that as an issue.   I honestly think it is the barrel.    It was the worst and roughest barrel we have ever looked down.   Including all production barrels.   The barrel did look better after 100 shots but was just OK.   200 total shots with hand loads and factory ammo, trigger job, bedded stock, hand lapped the barrel, waiting 5 min between shots, ect.   Still couldn't group.    At some point you just have to throw in the towel.   Now I'm heading out to shoot my tikka and it is very close to dialed in (under MOA in this case)  after 2 trips to the range.    Had probably 8 trips to the range with the Kimber and still never got close.     

I tell ya there could almost be a case made for only using custom guns.   At least you know they are going to shoot really good and it can be achieved in a quick time and you could save ammo costs, time and end up with a more accurate gun........Or I'm just looking for an excuse to build another custom gun 😉

Pretty much in the custom barrel camp myself these days. Amazing how much easier it makes reloading!