Shawn

Backpack trip in Galiuros

I have been wanting to make a backpack trip in the Galiuros for about 15 years and just have not been able to make it happen for one reason or another.  A buddy and I made a plan in January if we didn't draw elk we would make a trip to powers garden and cabin the end of April.  Figured this would be a good year with all the snow/rain for doing it that late.  We are coming in from deer creek.  Staying 1st night at powers garden, 2nd night at powers cabin,  3rd night back at powers garden.  Was wondering if a  side trip to hold out spring would be worth it?  Or if any other side trips we should check out?  Really looking forward to the trip.  Chances are this will be the only time I will do it, just want to see as much cool stuff as I can in 4 days. Can PM me if more comfortable with that. Thanks

• Like 1

That's a good, readable book.  What took place was a very sad and tragic chain of events.  Never have been able to learn what happened to the daughter.

forepaw

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

It's on my bucket list to go to the cabin. This might be an interesting read before you go.

0312191424~2.jpg

Thanks, I have the book and Documentary DVD. The documentary is on youtube now. If you haven't had a chance to watch it its very good. 

8 minutes ago, forepaw said:

That's a good, readable book.  What took place was a very sad and tragic chain of events.  Never have been able to learn what happened to the daughter.

forepaw

Toward the end of the book, it was mentioned what happened to the daughter. One thing that was stated in the book that I have found to be 100% true, is that there is enough myth, tales and fiction to fill another book about what happened. Yes I saw the documentary also.

• Like 1

I haven’t read this one. I’m going to have to though. I’ve only ready shoot out at dawn by one of the powers brothers. Loved that book. Like you said hard to tell what really happened. Just reading shoot at dawn makes me side with the powers a little more. Showing up before the sun is hardly up just seemed like the marshals were doing it the wrong way and wanted their mine. And I heard the way the bullet entered and exited with the way the wound was his hands had to have been up on the dad. I’ve been a few times and it’s amazing how they got that machinery in there. Also climbed down to the bottom of the mine. That was a little hairy haha. Half those rungs are held on by bailing wire.

• Like 1

There is still strong feelings about this even tho it happened over 100 years ago, especially around the Safford area. I was talking to two brothers that I know about the shootout, and they said that Sheriff McBride was a cousin to them, you can guess which side they were on. Another story that I heard was two old timers were getting into a heated argument about Ben Avery (yes the range guy) one was pro and the other was not so much. Well the one that was against said ol Ben was involved in that posse that went after the Power brothers. Well I knew Ben was from that area on the AZ- NM border, after checking it out, Ben was born in 1910, the shootout was in 1918, he would have been 8 years old! Yet another myth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

There is still strong feelings about this even tho it happened over 100 years ago, especially around the Safford area. I was talking to two brothers that I know about the shootout, and they said that Sheriff McBride was a cousin to them, you can guess which side they were on. Another story that I heard was two old timers were getting into a heated argument about Ben Avery (yes the range guy) one was pro and the other was not so much. Well the one that was against said ol Ben was involved in that posse that went after the Power brothers. Well I knew Ben was from that area on the AZ- NM border, after checking it out, Ben was born in 1910, the shootout was in 1918, he would have been 8 years old! Yet another myth.

Sure that wasn't 1909?

4 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Sure that wasn't 1909?

Well the whole shoot out was because the Power brothers didn't register for the WWl draft, my history tells me that WWl wasn't in 1909. Believe the shootout was Feb. 10, 1918.

12 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Well the whole shoot out was because the Power brothers didn't register for the WWl draft, my history tells me that WWl wasn't in 1909. Believe the shootout was Feb. 10, 1918.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the shootout, not BA's year of birth. The video wasn't posted yet.

13 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

What he was referring too was the difference in year of birth for Ben Avery. For that minor correction and provided proof, he wins the Grand Trivia prize. The prize: The ability to piss on as many classified posts as he pleases without making an offer. Congratulations to the winner. 

• Haha 1

It's amazing the amount of history in AZ. Being from PA we have plenty too but man, nothing compares to here IMO. Remember going to a job and seeing a plaque to the southeast of the Chiricauas saying that's where they caught Geronimo, it blew my mind! Then hearing he was from Solomon right outside of Safford (assuming its true, dont know for sure) blew my mind again! Few states have such an amazing combination of culture, landscapes and history. There was a time I thought I would never want to leave PA, now I have zero desire to go back.

• Like 4

We packed into powers cabin to coues hunt around 2010.  We thought we were going to get some great hunting.  Well the hunting was not so good, it’s so thick in there you can’t see chit, and hardly any water. Could have shot a medium 8 point but my mules decided to break my stock on the way in. No deer were harmed on that journey.  

We stayed at the cabin and it was surprisingly in good shape.  Very cool trip and the OP should definitely do it.  Country is very cool, and the history makes it more interesting.

killed my first coues and my first 100+ in Coues In the Galiuros 

• Like 1