Sign in to follow this  
Savage06

well place shot

Where is the optimal spot to drop an elk.  Head heart etc.,  I would like to drop him m\if I get a good shot..  I would rather not chase for 2-3 miles if I can avoid it.

Well said, rib cage has all the good stuff. Now a spine shoot will drop him in his tracks, but not much room for error. 

Have you ever hunted?

• Like 6

Same guy asking about late 22s hunt, ld say probably not much but differently willing to learn. He has some good questions 

1 hour ago, Savage06 said:

Where is the optimal spot to drop an elk.  Head heart etc.,  I would like to drop him m\if I get a good shot..  I would rather not chase for 2-3 miles if I can avoid it.

Don't mind the questions that might seem rude, they are legitimate questions. You seem new to hunting which is great, this site has tons of info and helpful people. Lances post above is spot on. I tell my kids follow the back of the front leg straight up and right in mid body let her rip. Use premium ammo, whatever shoots good out of your gun with good ballistics is what you want.

Hang around here for awhile. Ask questions and contribute to other threads. People around here will be much more willing to help someone who is a part of the forum. Often times guys draw tags come here for help with their first post and never come back to even say thanks. DONT BE THAT GUY!  My point is,  Guys here are happy to help just make sure to give back where you can. 

• Like 2

Assuming you're using enough gun (7mag, 3006, 300 mag, etc) and good ammo (Barnes TTSX, Accubond), I say put that sumbitch right through the shoulder.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Savage06 said:

If you dont have a good clean shot, please don't shoot. If an elk is able to go 3 miles, you aren't going to find him. Kind of makes me chuckle that you think you could chase one for 3 miles in the first place.. If it's your first big game hunt, an elk in 22 is a great way to  pop your cherry... 

• Like 1

I have taken a hunter ed coarse and know about the kitchen.  I just here of others that shoot for head, neck, spine etc and drop them in their tracks.  That was the basis of my question.  I have hunted in CA and here last year in 24B just southeast of Roosevelt. In Oct. I only saw one buck when I was scouting but, lots of tracks in the area so, I hunted there. I have yet to make a kill. I have however have bought a Hunt/fish combo every year for the last 10 years if nothing else to support the G&F and our wild life foundations.  I am a decent shot, maybe not the best on the planet but decent.  I will be hunting with a Savage 30-06 and using a load I have came up with. 168gr BTHP, 46.6gr IMR8208XBR powder.  Seems to be a stable and consistent load.  I have not put it thru a chrono yet but, I will be the next time I go shoot.

• Like 2

The ol' 06 w. 168 is plenty for elk out to 500+. Practice at 500-600. It will make a 300 seem easier. 

Chrono the load, get a good drop chart plotted, and get a good ballistic app on your phone.  Shot opportunities will be between 50-1200+.   More than likely, 300-600+.

Limit yourself to what you can hit within 4" of POA every shot.  Stick to that limit, no matter how tempting a further shot might be.  Also, keep a rule of 1800fps & 1500 ft/lbs as a minimum. 

I have seen a few elk drop on the spot.  Those usually were CNS or shoulder/spine shots.  Even a well places shot to the lungs and heart will not drop an elk instantly.  But they will kill an elk better that missing a spine in the neck or clipping an ear or jawbone by aiming at the head and missing by 4". Most often, they go 25-100 yards and pile up with a perfect shot to the lungs/heart 

Get in shape.  22S has some steep, rough country.

Get a great pack and boots.  You are going to need them.

Get good glass and a good tripod.

• Like 3

Put it in the zone lance showed and you should don well. It gives you the most margin for error, but you still provide an ethical kill IMO. 

some people do like head, neck, spine shots, but you have much less margin for error. 

If you put that 168gr bullet in the zone it shouldn't go 3 miles. Just remember not to push in on the animal to fast if it doesn't go down right away, and to put another bullet in the zone if you can.

Elk are capable of amazing things if you push them while wounded. Adrenaline is an amazing drug, so leave them alone and let them calm down. It will let them expire faster.