Sign in to follow this  
Savage06

well place shot

All of these are great tips.  Thanks for them.  I was hunting whitetail last Oct with a semi auto just for the reason of a fast follow up shot but also found that the rifle was too dang heavy.  I know that I would need a bullet and load for elk that is not a semi auto platform.  I have had the 06 for years and can deliver a follow up relatively quick. I think my comfort zone is within 700 yards tho and won't take a shot past that.

The last 4 elk I’ve killed have been shot 4, 3, 2, and 3 times.   All were between 120 and 380 yards with a .300 lapua shooting 210gr Berger’s at 3300 or a .280 Nosler shooting 195 Berger’s at 3100.   Elk are tough as nails.  All 4 of those bulls would have been dead after the first shot, but they tend to dance around for a bit after you shoot them through the lungs, especially if they weren’t spooked when you started shooting.  I’ve seen weird stuff happen with bullets hitting big critters so I keep shooting till they are on the ground and suggest you do the same.  A high shoulder hit will drop them 95% of the time, but the other 5% it won’t, and it’s not a lethal hit and they’ll be gone.  A friend of mine shot a bull with a 30-378 wby at 150 yards this fall through the shoulder and we never found him.  He had a decent chance and he didn’t get another one in him.  They had it on video and you can plainly see the hair part where the bullet hits.  Dead center in the shoulder blade about 8-10” below his backline.  Nearest we can figure it was above the lungs and somehow missed the spine.  Followed him for about a mile and lost his tracks.  No blood at all.  The take home I have is that I’d rather get that first bullet through the lungs and rip them up and worry about anchoring them with the second and third shots.  And again, keep shooting till they aren’t moving.  

• Like 1

My bull from last year took two168 grain Berger Bullets from my 7 mag at 580 yards.  Both hits he barely even reacted to the shots.  He ran about 50 yards up hill before he went down.  Put a third shot in him just to be sure after he was down.  Elk are tough, but a well placed shot will but them down without them running out of country.  I would suggest a spotter to let you know where your shot hits and also getting you into the area where the bull goes down especially at longer ranges.  

That is good advise yotebuster.  

Definitely going to have a spotter.

Your 06 will do just fine. I used my o6 for my last elk hunt, I was still hunting though the timber and bumped five bulls out of their beds, one of them was facing my direction with its head down on the ground and caught my movement at 65 yards. The bulls moved out at a trot across a draw and into even thicker timber and stopped about 170 yards out, then single file they began crossing a 4/5 foot opening in the timber, I held on the heart of the second bull and squeezed, the bull made it about 30 yards and piled up. I used a 150 gr. TTSX the bullet put a 1 inch hole in the breast plate which is a solid 1/2 inch thick centered the heart and left a 1 inch exit.  

Lots of good advice on this thread. I have seen a lot of elk shot the last several years, and they all react different. Personally I wouldn't shoot for the shoulder with a 30-06. I have seen bullets stop on the shoulder joint twice, and not penetrate the chest. One was a 30-06 with 150gr soft point, and one was a 150gr barns from a .270. Both shots were inside 75yds. Luckily fast follow up shots killed both bulls and we were able to see what happened. I know both of those could have broke through the shoulder blade, but they hit the joint and stopped. I think with your setup behind the shoulder is a safer bet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AzPlumber said:

Instead of preparing yourself for a one shot kill, you're better off being prepared for a quick follow up shot.

What?! Can’t say I agree with that one

• Like 1

Sling lead till they’re dead. Do not jump up and celebrate if they drop after the first shot. Stay in your scope for at least a minute or two in case they get up. I have seen a LOT of bulls get back up and haul a$$ . High shoulder shots, if they do not hit the spine,  will a lot of times jar their spine hard enough to knock their feet out from under them but they’ll get right back up and take off. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yotebuster said:

The last 4 elk I’ve killed have been shot 4, 3, 2, and 3 times.   All were between 120 and 380 yards with a .300 lapua shooting 210gr Berger’s at 3300 or a .280 Nosler shooting 195 Berger’s at 3100.   Elk are tough as nails.  All 4 of those bulls would have been dead after the first shot, but they tend to dance around for a bit after you shoot them through the lungs, especially if they weren’t spooked when you started shooting.

I would echo this experience, I have had similar with my first three elk. Two where taken at 300 plus and this is where a partner spotting for you is critical. In one case I hiked down into a gully and up it a little and nothing looked the same as it did 300 yards away, took a little doing but found him right where I last saw him. 

Just now, dustin25 said:

What?! Can’t say I agree with that one

Counting on one shot in the head, spine or shoulder to drop an Elk in his tracks is a poor plan in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, AzPlumber said:

Counting on one shot in the head, spine or shoulder to drop an Elk in his tracks is a poor plan in my opinion.

Maybe I took it wrong, I read it as don’t worry about making a great first shot, just worry about taking multiple shots... which in my opinion would be terrible advice. My apologies if that’s not what you meant

I agree behind the shoulder with a 30/06. I've shot 2 rifle bulls with my 30/06 both past 300yds and hit them behind the shoulder 1 dropped instantly and the other didn't go very far but my boys both shot bulls 2 years ago in 6a and were high shoulder shots with a 300rum. We all know what the outcome of that was. No tracking job needed! Good luck on your hunt and good questions. 22south is big country so as lance said. A good pack and good optics get your boots on the ground and learn the unit. Hope you shoot a nice one!