Sign in to follow this  
wildwoody

2019 Mexico hunt

Well here's the story, ill keep it short with pics. Went down this year for the first time, what a great experience. I met a couple great guys here on CWT that were looking for a few guys to hunt a ranch in Sonora Mexico, we talked and sounded like a great experience. So paper work and gun permits followed.

.       The time had come to go on the hunt, 1/05/19 -1/21/19. We met at Chad's place at 5am ( my friend Cecil and I ) loaded up and met the rest of the group, 8 in all

The trip down was good, a little slow at the border checking on the Mexico side for the guns and had to unload extra Suzuki vehicles and drive thru check point and re load. Great from there , 60 miles down and then 2 hrs on dirt rd. back to the north to the ranch.  Arrived about 3pm and met the ranchers and hands, if I could spell there names I would  but I don't want to disrespect them by butchering there names. Great people for sure. That evening Jayson and Chad showed us the lay if the land. I thought it looked like the Matazal's foot hills and all. I knew I'd be right at home.  The food was so good, lodging was super, hot water heat, clean was awesome

.        Started early Sunday morning after a great breakfast by momma . Then it was of to the hill, rained quite a bit that morning, saw some great bucks but it was the first day, dumb move, my buddy had a chance at a dandy but passed. He should of shot, he ended up with a 1x2 second to the last day. First buck he was stoked, a had 10 opportunities thru out the week at some big ones. He's learning how to shoot folded in half, steep stuff. So the week went on with some great bucks shoot. By the time I knew it was Friday and we just got Cecil done.

.    Saturday was it , I had to find something decent. Jayson and Chad and rancher Lupe went on a journey. I almost got a shoot at one I had been chasing but safety was on and he was gone. We moved further up the foot hills and started glassing, let me tell you those Swarovski BTX are crazy. Chad found lots of good bucks but they wouldn't stay still long enough to get a shot. Yes they were rutting hard.  Then he found one a mile + away. We made a plan and went for it. After 1 hr hike we were within 700 yds.. Set up and found his does, then a great buck ran up to us at 20yrds, tried to get a shot, not easy with a 25x scope on a running buck that close, he never took his nose of the ground. Anyway my buck stud up and the shooting started, after 4 shoots with the 6.5 Creedmoor I went to Chad's 300rum, 2 more misses. Ranged again , my Zeiss range finder was still saying 655 yrds I was dead on left to right just couldn't tell if I was just high barely going under him. We broke out a Swarovski range finder , the same. Then a Vortex Jayson had, it said 705yrds, dialed it up and bam, he's on the ground doing the right stuff.

.      took the long walk over and found blood and guts but no deer, Chad said he thought he saw a buck get up and walk down into the thicker brush. Ray the cowboy came over and his dog jumped him up and he went around the corner, they found him days after we left. I put a bounty on him for incentive. It worked. They found him 60yrds from where I shoot him , shoot was a couple inches back. Ended up meeting Carlos at the border a few days later and collected my buck. I was shocked he was bigger then I thought. A big thankyou to Chad and Jayson two great guys , can't wait until next year.

Here are some pictures from pick up to the wall.  There's one picture of him with a 95" buck. One picture with his new friend's, and one of the biggest buck taken by Jim., congrats on a stud

WIN_20190222_22_15_09_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190222_22_17_14_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190222_22_18_16_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190222_22_18_28_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190222_22_18_58_Pro.jpg

20190112_190317.jpg

20190126_222848.jpg

2019-03-14 18.46.06.jpg

17746.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Nice buck! I have to do Mexico sometime

• Like 1

In Az that’s just another dead head laying in the desert. Long range shooting is awesome for our deer!

congrats on a dang nice buck!

yes it would be, those guys were off the hook. Thankyou. My best to date

Crap I missed this! Great Buck Dennis! So your buddy that shot the 1x2, was that his first ever buck or first Mexico buck? 

Congrats man! That's a beutiful buck! And your trophy wall makes me feel fairly inadequate! I really dig the buck on bottom  left with the crab claw and double main beam!

10 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Crap I missed this! Great Buck Dennis! So your buddy that shot the 1x2, was that his first ever buck or first Mexico buck? 

Congrats man! That's a beutiful buck! And your trophy wall makes me feel fairly inadequate! I really dig the buck on bottom  left with the crab claw and double main beam!

Yes it is his first buck ever, he had some great opportunities at some studs, he's learning, we just got him 15x vortex bino's . The double main beam buck my oldest son shot in the Matazal's, he thought it was a 2 point. And the trophy wall wouldn't exist if my dad's hobby wasn't taxidermy, unfortunately his partner (brother) just past last Monday, he will be deeply missed.  If you can believe that's only one wall, couldn't fit the rest in the picture. Looks like you have a great taxidermist your self..  I've been very blessed over the years, can't wait to someday come down and hunt with you. I'll bring Adam as our guide. He's an animal magnet for sure. Thankyou for the kind words 

• Like 1