Sign in to follow this  
measafrontier

Unit 10

Super excited to draw a unit 10 rifle tag. 

First time hunting unit 10. 

From prior posts it appears that there is good hunting on the public side, but curious to know if extra fees are worth it to hunt on the Boquillas side?

Do they limit the number of hunters on Boquillas or is anyone with a tag eligible to purchase a permit?

13 hours ago, measafrontier said:

From prior posts it appears that there is good hunting on the public side, but curious to know if extra fees are worth it to hunt on the Boquillas side?

Do they limit the number of hunters on Boquillas or is anyone with a tag eligible to purchase a permit?

I've been with friends the last two years on antelope hunts and we only hunted the big bo.  You can got to their website and look over all the rules, there is no limit to the number of permits sold and I believe you wont even be able to access the ranch until sometime in august.  If it were me I would scout the heck out of the public ground before August and see what you find, if you find what you're looking for then I wouldn't mess with the big bo, if you don't find what you're looking for pay for the permit, if you've never been on the ranch it's called the big bo for a reason.  Good luck on your hunt.

Yes it would be beneficial. Tons of speed goat country on the Bigbo . It seems you will have a fair amount of people out due to the speed goat hunters and elk scouters.

Congrats on the tag!!  You had a 1/100 chance of pulling it so consider yourself blessed but do those of us who weren’t as lucky a favor and make the most of it!!  Buy the Bo permit without a doubt.  You’ve got the chance to have an absolute world class antelope hunt and kill a giant.  If they auctioned that tag it would probably bring $15,000-20,000 so consider it a lottery win and make the most of it.  Spend a few hundred bucks on gas and the $80 or whatever it is to access the Bo.  Get up there for a couple weekends leading up to the hunt (more if you’ve got time) and most importantly take off 3-4 days prior to your hunt.  Do your hunting before the hunt and kill on opening morning.  So many people show up for antelope hunts on opening morning without ever looking around at all then expect to hunt for 3-4 days into the season.  The best bucks are gonna go down at daylight on opener.  There’s always a chance you can kill one sleeper buck that’s been hiding in the cedars anytime during the season, but I personally would make the “hunt” the few days leading up to opener.  It’ll be less stressful, look over a ton of bucks when they aren’t being shot at, pick out “the one”, figure out what he does and be in there opening am and smack him at daybreak.  Also post pics!!!

• Like 3

Also one more thing I’ve learned in my struggle to be a better antelope hunter is to get a good phone scope for your spotter or a decent hyper zoom camera (I have a little image stabilized canon that was like $250 at Walmart that has a 60x optical zoom and it does well for scouting and takes way less time to set up then a phone scope and spotter).  Take tons and tons of pics of every “decent” buck you see.  Then when you get back to camp at night you can flip through them and compare and contrast the ones you think were big.   So often for me I get an initial look at them and it’s burned into my memory how long the prong was, or how tall etc etc and in my mind it gets bigger and bigger.  Then I get back and look over the pics and realize it was actually a young buck with light bases and it made the prong look big etc.  Sometines the morning light will hit a buck just right and you’d swear he’s 90” and then you get to looking and you were way wrong.   Sometimes the opposite happens and you think they aren’t great and you get back and start looking over photos and realize they were a big old mature buck with a big head and it’s actually a smoker and you overlooked it.  Anyhow that’s my most important piece of antelope hunting “wisdom”!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Congrats on the tag!!  You had a 1/100 chance of pulling it so consider yourself blessed but do those of us who weren’t as lucky a favor and make the most of it!!  Buy the Bo permit without a doubt.  You’ve got the chance to have an absolute world class antelope hunt and kill a giant.  If they auctioned that tag it would probably bring $15,000-20,000 so consider it a lottery win and make the most of it.  Spend a few hundred bucks on gas and the $80 or whatever it is to access the Bo.  Get up there for a couple weekends leading up to the hunt (more if you’ve got time) and most importantly take off 3-4 days prior to your hunt.  Do your hunting before the hunt and kill on opening morning.  So many people show up for antelope hunts on opening morning without ever looking around at all then expect to hunt for 3-4 days into the season.  The best bucks are gonna go down at daylight on opener.  There’s always a chance you can kill one sleeper buck that’s been hiding in the cedars anytime during the season, but I personally would make the “hunt” the few days leading up to opener.  It’ll be less stressful, look over a ton of bucks when they aren’t being shot at, pick out “the one”, figure out what he does and be in there opening am and smack him at daybreak.  Also post pics!!!

This....

Exactly...

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 7:32 PM, measafrontier said:

I drew the archery tag right before you.  I don't mind letting you know what I am able to find out or see while I'm out there.  I agree with what has been said about spending the extra cash on opening up and enormous part of the unit, it only makes sense for the unit and tag.  

Wow just what I wanted to hear 9 bp😡 congratulations good luck yes get it it's worth it

We will also be hunting the 10 rifle lope hunt for my son who is 11. We will be hunting on and off the Bo. My son is over the moon excited, this is the hunt he has always wanted more than any other and he’s got it in just his second year.

Should be exciting.