Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Good Contractors

Just a heads up - this is a venting post. I'm not looking to hire good contractors, I'm just wondering where they all went. I had my roof redone a couple years back and with all the recent snow, I've got leaks in several rooms. Some of the drywall is completely ruined. The company I hired went bankrupt, and all their warranties went away, magically. The same guy is still doing roofing up here, under a new name, new license and I have no recourse other than doing what I should have from the beginning - fixing it myself and doing it right. 

If you're an independent contractor, please...stand behind your work, and please do it right the first time. End of rant.

• Like 2

Like he said. Contact the registrar of contractors. As a tile contractor myself I hate to see stuff like this happen. Kinda gives us good one's a black eye. 

• Like 3

That sucks, there are a lot of piece of crap contractors out there, but there are some of us good ones still around. My warranty is for as long as I and you live, I was taught if you do your work right and professionally you'll never have to go back and fix it. Must want to be contractors only warranty for as long as the law requires. We have a bunch of no good so called contractors up here in Payson. And don't get me started on handyman. Anyway don't count on the joke registrar of contractors, if the guy went bankrupt he probably had his first license revoked. They can't even keep the 2 million required in the fund and keep changing the good ones more to recover for the shoot heads. And know they want to do away with the 4 yr experience requirement. So wait it will only get better. Thankyou Tom Knapp

Tom, I wish I had you do my roof. Now it is what it is. There's very little I've contracted out. I rebuilt this whole house - tile work, plumbing, the list goes on. 

Young guys, own your house, do your own work. If you don't know how, learn it, or hire it out to only those guys you actually know will do it correctly, and learn from them. 

• Like 3

When the economy tanked a lot of the good guys went and found other work. The guys who couldnt cut it elesewhere were left to teach the new guys. Now its the guys who are owners and still on the jobs doing the work are the ones to hire. If you hire a contractor ask who will be performing the work, if not the owner ask about the crew and who is in charge of it.

I’m a General Contractor & specialize in remodels. I do most of the work myself except major plumbing & electrical. I have a few guys help me on a regular basis. The subcontractors I use are guys I know well and have used for years. There are a lot of good contractors out there as well as crappy ones too. It’s with anything you have to research and get referrals!! Sorry to here about your roof. I tell my clients cheap work isn’t good and good work isn’t cheap you will get what you pay for!!

Slow response I've been away this weekend. He did a partial replacement - < 10 sheets that had been installed too closely together and were buckling. Other places they just used circular saws to cut a gap between the sheets, then re-shingled it. I agree with you guys that you have to research your contractors, and there are lots of really good ones. This guy, you can see his history, several different companies over the years, same owner, same phone number, slightly different company name. T&T T&S. He used his wife's name to create another roofing business. We're going to the R.O.C. to file a formal complaint. 

I hope you guys who actually stand behind your work know this isn't aimed at you, and I applaud you for doing it right the first time. 

It's just frustrating.  One of our rooms now has water that came down the wall bubbling the paint. When I peel that paint off, the top layer of drywall will come with it. I might have to tear the whole wall out to make it look "normal". Even in the roof of that room several screws became so rusted they popped out the drywall. 

Anyway, thanks for coming on and giving your suggestions. Hopefully, this will be a cautionary story to prevent it happening to someone else. 

• Like 2