Sign in to follow this  
Sako300

Jim white head or outdoorsmans pan?

I’m just worried about smoothness of tilting with outdoorsmans. Has anyone had a sticky type movement up and down instead of true fluid. Panning is easy on all these heads. Before I drop over $300 on a head I want to know about the tilt movement with 85 btx

If you are looking for true fluid tilt, stay away from the outdoorsman.  It is not a true fluid head and does not operate like one either.  Go with the 128 or 501 from Manfrotto.  

Personally I like the Jim White head for my 15's and the occasional use of a 65mm spotter. Keep in mind that the Jim White is a pan head and not a fluid head,  and in my personal opinion is a little too light for the big spotters. You may be happier with a fluid head if you're going to be using big spotters or a large BTX.

7 hours ago, Sako300 said:

I’m just worried about smoothness of tilting with outdoorsmans. Has anyone had a sticky type movement up and down instead of true fluid. Panning is easy on all these heads. Before I drop over $300 on a head I want to know about the tilt movement with 85 btx

That’s the exact reason I went with the va5. It’s butter smooth. No sticky feature that I know you’re talking about. None of the weight shift that ends up slamming your optic straight down either. I had the outdoorsman micro and while it’s probably the best lightweight head on the market, you still don’t get the smoothness like you do with a fluid head. It can handle any spotter and the btx. Comes in only $150 as well compared to $400 for the outdoorsmans. Happy glassing 

I am pretty sure the Siriu is just a Manfrotto knock off just like the Benro stuff.  The Benro heads are half of even the Sirui prices but I have not tried one.  I have one of their tripods and it is crazy light and has lasted over 10 years. 

As said nothing is going to be like a fluid head for a spotter.  For bino's I have 2 Jim White heads and they are the best I have found, light and smooth but still not a fluid head.